• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon HD 6800 series comes in November!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jobrien2001

Here is some information;

Code Name Bart: It replaces Juniper GPU and comes in Octorber with AMD Radeon HD 6700 series.

Code Name Caymen: It replaces Cypress GPU and comes in November with AMD Radeon HD 6800 series.

Code Name Antilles: It replaces hemlock (dual Cypress-HD 5970) desing and comes in December with AMD Radeon HD 6970 and maybe Radeon HD 6950.

http://www.donanimhaber.com/ekran-k...D-6800-serisi-Kasim-ayinda-lanse-edilecek.htm

Should this significantly bring down the price of the current 5000 series (I'm talking like 30%+), or do you think that these cards will simply be priced much more (like 1500)? I sure hope these cards come out in November, I'm postponing my new build to wait for these new cards to come out! :eh?:

Should this significantly bring down the price of the current 5000 series (I'm talking like 30%+), or do you think that these cards will simply be priced much more (like 1500)? I sure hope these cards come out in November, I'm postponing my new build to wait for these new cards to come out! :eh?:

It will all depend on the performance compared to Nvidia. I'm sure the 512 shader 485 will launch around the same time, which will bring probably a 10% performance increase over the 480. Now I would expect the 6870 to likely outperform even that, but they ATI might find themselves in a situation like Nvidia has now, where their significantly more expensive 480 doesn't give performance increases great enough over the competition to justify the price. I would bet that these will drive prices on the 5 series down however.

A single board solution is more consistent and less dependent on drivers, and so if it's better than your dual board solution's max then it'll be much better than when it doesn't have optimized drivers for the particular game... Also typically uses far less power for the same performance.

:shrug:

From what I have heard, the 6000 series is simply going to be an update of the 5000 series.
I wouldnt expect a huge increase in performance, I would rekon something like the 4890 was to the 4870. It will make the GPU market very interesting in the fall though, especially if Nvidia fights back with another release.

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/graphics/radeon-hd-6000-is-a-minor-improvement

That's all speculation though. Just because they're not changing the manufacturing process doesn't mean they won't make a large performance increase. I remember reading somewhere as well that they're using an intermediate technology for this series so it still could be good.

Back