• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI no longer "ATI"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I could mentally adapt to that the moment they stop programming in Net Framework :)
Untill that time, expect me to keep calling them ATI

i can foresee this causing a lot of confusion when someone asks about a new graphics card for their Intel based system and someone recommends the new AMD branded card :(

I'm sorely upset about this. I'm no marketing genius, but it was my impression ATI had much better branding presence. I don't see a real reason to axe the name.

Ok, everyone go and destroy your ATI cards. I'm hanging on to mine and tossing it on Ebay in thirty years or so. I mean... >.>

Well, it's been a fun ride. Looks like the "ATi" 5850/5870 will be the last of their breed under the ATi logo.

R.I.P.

*Plays taps*

:(

Well, at least they keep the Radeon name.

Concerning marketing, I bet every customer geeky enough to know the brand of his/her GPU will still know where the red team is.

dan

Concerning marketing, I bet every customer geeky enough to know the brand of his/her GPU will still know where the red team is.

dan

Except the red team just turned green, which could cause some confusion for those that don't know their GPU's.:p

dan

Good point on the color branding there... but i think it will be green from "that" day on....

:santa:

sad thing really, though as I got it, it will save them lots of marketing cost.

I don't know about the market equity of ATI, but it is said to be very high, probably higher than AMD.

They will mostly keep the Radeon logo, though. The vendors can get it in two variants, with AMD logo, and without, to allow system builders to use them in Intel computers without confusing people with both an Intel and an AMD sticker.

Ever since Hector left AMD has been doing better and although they haven't gotten back up to Intel's performance level, they have survived and have some good alternatives to both Intel and nVidia.

Does this mean we lose Ruby too?
Better not.

It's stupid dropping the ATi brand, it's huge. A lot of idiots will hear this and think ATi is dead.

At least AMD's cleaning up their branding... but what about IGP-free systems?

Last edited:
i can foresee this causing a lot of confusion when someone asks about a new graphics card for their Intel based system and someone recommends the new AMD branded card :(

I agree because I was confused when I first saw AMD after the ATI name. I was thinking, I have a INTEL CPU and an AMD GPU? This isn't going to work. Of course I don't know a whole lot about PC hardware yet, but that's the point. They will have to do something for the laymen so there isn't superficial ambiguity.

Back