• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cutting circles in plexi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrStrangelove

Registered
i just finished snipping out my first window and i wanted to figure out how to cut one of those damned near perfect circles in the plexi for a fan.

I have a dremel and a nibbler but im just not sure how to go about it

I used my dremmel. I cut a majority of the plastic out with the abrasive wheel, then used a straight mill type bit that cuts with it's sides to finish off the hole. Then I smoothed it out even more using a small piece (3" x 3") of 100 grit sandpaper curled around 2 fingers.

To mark it, I used a mini cd (80mm) and a scribe (any sharp point) to scratch the outline into the plastic. This line cannot be rubbed off by accident when your handling the plexi, and is more accurate to cut to than a marker line.

Using the double thick plexi allowed me to cut, dremmel and sand off much of the fan's frame to press fit it into the hole with no glue....looks pretty darned good if I do say so myself.

DUDE!! were did you get that fan?!?!?!

i want them! i have one thats like that but it still has the mounting on the one end....

or did you just mod a fan and make that?

That was a funny shaped fan I got out of an old AT power supply.
The main part was already pretty much a tube, with the corners molded on.
A little sawing, a little dremel action, and a bunch of sanding with a sanding block left just the tube shaped venturi.

There's actually more work on the fan there than on the hole.

You could do that to about any fan, the shroud is all plastic. Just pull the wires out of the way and hack into it!

Back