• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why on earth is this so expensive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I believe it is soo expensive because it is more marketed as a business class gaming case that allows you to lock up your components when at some type of professional competition, trade show, etc. (e.g. a safe for your gaming gear). I would assume it is made out of some seriously solid metal that you could drive a vehicle over instead of the average metal you could bend with your hands...but that is just a guess.

I don't think it even cools stuff that well either. Like mrgettmann said, MASSIVE amount of hype. Also the whole BMW tag thing really bumps up the cost.

Bit like the porsche cayenne and the VW Touareg. Same engine, same basic everything but different badge.

*hugs his 922* You're unique and perfect :D

BMW designed it, it's all aluminum, plus the whole "every component has a separate compartment" scheme and the overall unique design of the thing = massive price tag. Don't get me wrong, I would totally buy one if money was no issue, but unfortunately it is... and I believe a watercooled gtx 480 is a better use of my $700 ;)

I fail to see the value on that case for anything other than bragging rights.

How on earth would anyone begin to cool their components in that thing?
Maybe air cooling for the CPU since the MoBo compartment seems big enough to hold a nice heatsink+fan... But getting your parts wet would be a monumental task involving some major cutting/drilling into that thing and I just don't see how I would be able to take a drill to a $700 case.

It does look cool as hell though.

It used to be $1000 when it came out a couple months ago. But yeah, one of the most if not the most expensive case on the market (unmodded, of course).

Very high development costs and low volume market is the reason it is so expensive. I suspect this case was a big gamble to develop and manufacture. The nature of its size and weight almost certainly relegates it to a limited niche market. The question is if the small market will be willing to pay enough for each unit to just even recover the cost of getting it on the market. The automotive manufacturers sometimes market vehicles just to get people into the showroom and attract attention even though they do not expect to recover their costs. Smart CPAs and accounting practices make doing this possible. Maybe that is the case here.

Price is down, used to be $1k.

It's all marketing, R&D on that isn't going to cost that much.

I should start selling my Unobtainium PC cases for $4,000 each... Naturally they come with your choice of LEDs. ;)

I don't think it even cools stuff that well either. Like mrgettmann said, MASSIVE amount of hype. Also the whole BMW tag thing really bumps up the cost.

Bit like the porsche cayenne and the VW Touareg. Same engine, same basic everything but different badge.

*hugs his 922* You're unique and perfect :D

Not to get too far off topic... but the Cayenne and Touareg have some common components but are very different finished products. The base Cayenne is available with the VW 3.6L engine but the rest of the powertrain is different than the VW. The suspension is also different as is the interior and exterior. They both start with a similar chassis and build different vehicles from there.

BTW both are great products for different target audiences.

Now back to over-priced Unobtainium PC cases on sale - this week only for $3,999 cash. ;)

I think this case is expensive because there has been nothing like it before. The BMW association does not help...but even if they had nothing to do with the design it would still be expensive.

I think its neat and industrial looking, but I don't like that the hard drives are completely enclosed. Also the lights only show that there is a drive in that slot, not that it is thinking. So you would have to figure out a way to fool the empty slots into lighting up to give it a fully uniform look.

I'd love to have one to play with to check out...I think I would only buy one if someone is selling a used one for under $100

Back