• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i3 oc ram mulitplier 8x or 10x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rule1n2

Current spec as follow:
4.2ghz
222 bclk @ 19x
vcore 1.26v
vtt 1.21v
1776 memory @ x8 mulitplier(should have gotten faster ones) 1.68v

Should i run the memory multiplier @ x10 instead?
that mean i would lower bclk to 200
it would still be 4.2ghz with a 21 multi
Ram would be 1600 with slight better timing

I remember the old school rule where 1:1 fsb:memory ratio yields the best result, does that still apply today?

I do not plan to oc beyond 4.2ghz or 1.26 vcore btw
spec.jpg

Thing to do is run some benchmarks, really.
Test out both flavors and see which works better for you.

For IBT you should adjustment to 4 threads burning mode for a true stability test (only 2 threads are being tested currently from your screenshot).

I don't think you can switch to 10x....cause that would put it way over 2100Mhz which could result an instant BSOD. What rams do you have?

just 10666 ddr3 w/xmp 1.65v
gonna do a prime95 test so test out the ram

dropped bclk to 200 and pump multi to 21x

vcore at 1.25v with EIST and C1E ENABLED

Memory at 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 or something like that too lazy to check

ran prime95 blend test and large FFTs 1 hour each, passed with no errors

fast enough for most apps, need new graphic card though

You could probably tighten those timings a little more. But so far it looks good...of course you want to make sure the temps are good and your overclock is stable.

dropped bclk to 200 and pump multi to 21x
vcore at 1.25v with EIST and C1E ENABLED
Memory at 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 or something like that too lazy to check
ran prime95 blend test and large FFTs 1 hour each, passed with no errors
fast enough for most apps, need new graphic card though

I wasn't going to say nothing but you insisted twice that it was stable with Prime for an hour Blend and FFTs at 4.2Ghz with 1.26vcore

It would be eyes opener for me if you could do a favor by providing a screenshot of CPUz and Prime running FFTs with just 17min would be great.

Sam my i5 650 passes at 4GHz 25x160, ram 1600MHz 8-8-8-23, and vcore is 1.270V. But when i watch a movie i just get random shotdown... Dosent BSOD. It just closes and starts up again. It passed 9 hours of primes blend tests.

Sam my i5 650 passes at 4GHz 25x160, ram 1600MHz 8-8-8-23, and vcore is 1.270V. But when i watch a movie i just get random shotdown... Dosent BSOD. It just closes and starts up again. It passed 9 hours of primes blend tests.

Watching movie huh? could it be the gpu that needs tweaking (assuming u r using the Integrated GPU) ? took me a while to find a stable oc, mine is stable @ 900mhz w/ minimum 1.225v

No i wouldn't run the memory over that. I run my memory @ 1.64v and 1600MHz speed. Timings are posted on the sig...

Dropped the voltage to 1.64, thz for the heads up, im gonna try a lower voltage later

Will post benchmark results when i get back home

No actualy not useing intengrated gpu. I have a Sapphire 5770, noting but problems.

No actualy not useing intengrated gpu. I have a Sapphire 5770, noting but problems.

I just remembered something
I had trouble watching movies too, with klite codec
It would just freeze with classic media player
I am now using a different codec pack and it works fine

hope that helps

Final spec and benchmark result
dram voltage at 1.66v right now, BSOD @1.64v
Prime95 for 45min blend test, and intelburn
Fans on Max
Max temp according to Core Temp is 65c

benchmark2.png

Last edited: