• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new rig, first time, looking for opinions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joeys

Im looking to build my first gaming computer. Unfortunatly my current rig is a Dell :bang head and to really upgrade it I would have to swap out my mobo and buy a new case. So I decided to spend a bit more and put together a new one.
Let me know how it looks and if i made any bad decisions on parts or am going overboard with anything. Looking to OC to about 3.6 on air.

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified

Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2/64GB 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

This would be about 1200 for everything not including rebates. Opinions are appreciated, thanks in advance! :thup: Oh and if I missed anything feel free to point it out. I have windows currently so its not included.

Last edited:
Hmm, looks good to me. I'm not sure about the case though. It has full mesh drive bay covers, so that could complicate airflow if you have negative or positive pressure, air would either leak in or out through the drive bays, and that would have to be planned for when you're putting fans and everything in.

You seem to be missing a video card btw :)

Like I just told Nomad, I am moving this over to General Hardware from here, since that is where we ask about proposed computer builds. :)

As for your proposed system, it looks pretty good to me. But like CompuTamer said, you are missing the vid card. :D And for cooling, you also might want to save a few bucks and look at a Cogage True Spirit. I recently tested it and was very impressed with it's performance, which is right there with the Megahalems and for approximately half the price of a Mega plus fan. And you can order extra wire clips for it to run a push-pull fan setup also. And I don't know about the case selection either, but I am very satisfied with the Coolermaster HAF922 I bought for my daughter's system last Christmas.

You might be able to step up to the i7 950 for the same price depending on where you're buying from. The price on the 950 was recently dropped to $299. I think Fry's/Microcenter still have the 920 for ~$199, but if you're buying online the 930/950 are pretty much the same price now.

I just found an i7950 processor for 269 new... Im thinking i might go with that now.

Which XMS3 set are you getting? I know there's a cheaper Mushkin Blackline set that's cheaper with the same specs.

I ended up going with this setup.

Intel®-Core™ i7-950 Processor

CASE ANTEC|THREE HUNDRED BK RT

MEM 2Gx3|CORS Dominator

MB ASUS P6X58D-E X58 R

Thermalright CoGage True Spirit 4-Heatpipe Core i7 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA 1156/1366)

GTX 260 - WD 500gb Blue - 600w BFG power supply and dvd/cd (all from old computer)

Total was ~ 900 before rebates.

I think it worked out well... any opinions?

Last edited:
Back