• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SB6120 bites the dust.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CgS Drone

Well after 3 months my SB6120 bit the dust. I have emailed Motorola to try to get this figured out. Luckily I still had my old SB5100 around and its up and running fine.

I have voip and my phones where going nuts I could hear the caller but they could not hear me, then I noticed that sites where taking to long to load the pages and my son was getting high pings while gaming and being kicked from servers for it.

Got a hold of isp last night and they told me that according to their end my modem wasn't even online. Had to keep calling them back since after about 2 minutes of talking the phones would act up. We will see if Motorola will take care of this, I know I sent them some emails about 2 weeks ago and never got a response.

If your SB5100 works fine then it sounds like something with the SB6120 was killing your return signal or SNR, both would cause the symptoms you described.

Good news is that the modem should have a 2 year warranty on it, if you don't get any emails back I would call them. Sometimes you can get help from the vendor you bought it from as well so if you don't hear back from Motorola directly I would check with where you bought it and see what they can do.

LOL wow to funny, I got an email back so I called them.

The women on the phone did not bother to have me do any testing (they claimed they would in the email) Then when I explained that Comcast showed there was an issue with the modem and that my 5100 was working fine she said well I think its not the modem but we will replace it.

Now here is the fun part, she said since I don't believe its the modem then we will only replace it once. I said lets do some testing, she responded no. So these modems have a track record of this very issue and if the second one does it I'm just SOL. Oh well I won't buy another SB6120 if the second one goes.

After thinking about what she said and basically throwing away two years of warranty that goes with the sale of the modem I decided to email them back. Here is what I sent:

I have had some time to think about this, I called and got an RMA number (****) however I cannot remember exactly who it was that I talked with. I want to do whatever testing is required in order to prove or disprove that the modem is the problem.

On the phone call she did not want to do any testing then stated since she felt it was not the modem that Motorola would replace it but only once. I bought the modem and it was suppose to have a two year warranty. Now even with the modem in place and connected (which was acting up) Comcast could not even tell I was online or that the modem was even hooked to their service and was unable to talk with the modem, this issue has been reported over several web reviews about the SB6120. Also I have put my SB5100 back in place and had Comcast go back to it and my bandwidth is doing fine and everything is working well.

I am not trying to be difficult but at the same time I don't want to throw away two years of warranty because someone at Motorola feels its not the modems fault even though replacing it has solved all the issues, also not wanting to do testing to prove it was not the modem, I would be more than glad to find its not the modem then I can go back on my isp however it does not make sense that I can replace the modem and everything is fine.

I will hold off on returning the modem so you can have me do the testing you require, and I will gladly take the time to have my isp put it back on line for any testing that needs to be done.

Could always contact Newegg and see what they can do. If you paid with a credit card sometimes there are perks/benefits you could use from the credit card vendor too

Back