• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot install Asus Camera Driver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dazzer

Registered
Hello,

My parents have an Asus F3SV notebook computer running Windows Vista 32bit.

They use skype to talk to my brother overseas.

The camera flips the image upside down regularly and this is a known problem, apparently easily fixed by installing a new camera driver.

According to the Asus website I first had to located the PID number for the camera to find the correct driver via device manager. I did this, the PID is 174F&PID_6A31.

I then downloaded the appropriate camera driver: D-Max_GD-5A35 Camera Driver V6.21.70.004 for Windows Vista 32bit.

If I run the exe file (in Administrator mode) to install the driver it just pops up a message that it failed to install.

If I go to safe mode and install the driver, when I reboot the computer in normal mode it blue screens each time. I have to go back to safe mode to uninstall the new camera driver before I can reboot the notebook.

If I go to 'device manager' and 'camera' and point it to the downloaded driver and direct Windows to install it, it crashes the computer.

I researched the upside down camera problem and for most people it was a simple task of installing the new driver.

I have wasted 6 hours on trying to solve this issue and have raised the matter with Asus via their support services on their website - no response, hopeless.

Any ideas, I'm at my wits end and my parents are desperate to see my brother and his family on skype without their picture being upside down.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dazz

advice that wont be appretiated :)
that driver crashes the system!

I really doubt that it was because of a corrupted download or such things.

I would Not believe that it was the correct driver for the correct system and correct product, after what you have just gone through. or there is a conflicting driver item that isnt helping.
Download it again, and run a binary compare , to see if existed any differences (windiff does a simple easy compare and is a simple program) by comparing, you dont bother to reinstall the same POS you know doesnt work.

sneak off to a different Asus location, instead of the one they send you. Say you are on the "north American" site, jump to the European site, find the driver again, download it and compare the size, or do a full binary compare. this trick doesnt always work, but if they maintain multiple subsites , it can be wrong on one but not the other. use google translate and guess when needed :)

i would try and find other users with the same issue, same exact item , and use the driver they suggested EVEN if it doesnt match my product ID. i would also attempt to try other drivers from the site (if i could find them) that didnt match the product ID. BUT is the Exact same ITEM.

instead of searching VIA product ID
Find the ITEM itself in sales then track the drivers from that page, the specs and sale page, instead of using the product ID search thing.

donno what to tell you, other than persist and you will win, but the time wasted will never be compensated.

upside down is also caused by some codec instalations, and ways the video driver works, i never got a full good understanding of it, but it can be because of another item that is installed. from my failing memory, more people had upside down after XVID and FF-mpeg instalations, which both of those try and decode your video for you untill you control them.

Last edited:
Hi Psycogeec,

Thanks for the great advice. I have tried other drivers but again no luck.

I have been onto asus support and they have suggested drivers, but they did not work either.

They suggestion is now to call their support line which is only available monday to friday.

I will keep trying, sorry it has taken so long for me to get back, but I do not have much free time, hence my annoyance with this issue.

Cheers

Dazz

Back