• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to update BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gimps

I'm running an ECS P4iTA mobo and I need to update the BIOS so my AGP card doesnt run in PCI mode anymore. As I've never updated a BIOS before I'd just like to know how it's done? I've already downloaded the update file and have it on my hard drive, so where do I go from there?

alrighty mate, have you gone ahead and updated your BIOS? 'fraid i haven't actually done this myself either - yet - that's why i was wondering how you've got on.

Don't have the same m/b as you, I've got a VIA chipset with Award BIOS but would appreciate the pearls of your new found wisdom anyway! Was it easy? Worth it?

My mobo manufacturer page lists a load of updated BIOSes, with what each one does. I'm wondering whether i can just install the latest one, or if i have to install all the ones that i want the features of, or even if i just have to install them all in sequence?? I assume the latest version includes all previous enhancements tho.

BTW I'm also having a bit of prob getting my AGP card running to full potential, it seems to just run at 1x no matter what it's set to in BIOS. Updating the BIOS may well not help this, but it should get over a problem i have installing Win XP, which halts after the compatibility test saying I've got an incompatibility with my m/b and video card. The BIOS update mentions this, or something similar, so I've got my fingers crossed that it'll also start driving the card at 4x, or 2x at least....

Problem is Win ME is now running real smooth after loads of tinkering, and I'm reluctant to lose all that by sticking on Win XP! But if it means faster & more stable games, which it should as it's NT based, then I have to really don't I??

cheers

Normally, you would install the latest/newest version of your MB bios.

I would advise against doing a bios flash, unless its necessary.
As long as the MB is operating fine, then you are ok with your current bios.

well, my Win ME system is now running very nicely and stably. It wasn't a month ago though, and would crash all the time.

I got hold of Win XP Pro, y'know, off a back of a lorry, but when I tried to install, got a 'blocking issue' due to a conflict between my m/b and my video card, or so the XP setup program said.

So I went back and I've had a good old dig about and tweak of my ME system, and it does now run smooth as silk. But i've still got this XP disc sitting there, with all the extra features & stability of being the Pro version not to mention the NT kernel...

I just found the BIOS updates for my m/b, and they mention resolving a very similar problem with installing XP

I just now have to decide if it's worth going through the hassle of getting XP drivers for all my kit and possibly having to deal with some other issue, like the infinite loop thing some people get with GeForce2 cards...

Go to the front page, "tips and tecniques". Go to the BIOS section, and look up "Marks BH6 BIOS flashing guide". I can't remember any sites, but if you do a google search, you can find places to download boot files to load onto a floppy. Unless you still have a machine that is running Win98.
Oh yeah, bootdisc.com. Flounder had in in another post. Thanks Flounder!

Last edited:
If you're using win ME you make a boot disk from Control Panel | Add Remove Progs for some stoopid reason. It's got a tab there called Start up Disk or something like that.

So, repo man, are you saying that XP doesn't let you make boot disks itself? wtf are M$ on... there's always a need to have a boot disk, what if your HDD boot sector screws up??

PS I just flashed my BIOS, and it went swimmingly... my card now runs at AGP 4x and the system is still v stable (well touch wood, I only just done it an hour ago!)

Congratulations! It is allways fun to make a change like that, and have it accomplish your goal.
As far as XP and a boot disc goes, DOS has been eliminated as the foundation of the OS. This is partially responsible for the improvement in stability. But you need to run your machine in DOS to flash your BIOS. As far as a boot disc for XP itself goes, I imagine that the OS allows you to make one, (I don't know for sure, I have no direct experience with XP) but you wouldn't be able to use it do a BIOS upgrade. Hence the site to download a DOS boot file. I was confused as to why anyone would need such a thing. I run 98SE, and can make a bootable floppy quite easily in control panel, but I was reminded about the absence of DOS in XP, and it made perfect sense.

Back