• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Laptop: Quantity over Quality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kudo Jimbo

Hey there, OC'ers. First post here and I will make it on my agonizing days of gaming laptop research.

To get started, I have been looking into laptops after my dreadful experience in my first year of college lugging my desktop back and forth from home to school. Being the idiot that I am, I realized that doing what I did was incredibly painful and annoying and thus, I looked on towards the future of portable gaming.

In any case, let us get started. I have been considering two laptops: one being the ever so popular G73JH from ASUS and a model from Acer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115820.

As you can see, the latter choice is inferior to the G73 but is still quite capable in regards to gaming. However, what is making me waver from one to the other would be price. If I said my budget was at the most the price of the G73JH-A1 model, then this means that I would have slightly over half a G to spend on miscellaneous devices to complement my gaming experience if I were to choose the Acer model.

A quick list to what I had in mind:
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (~60$)
Logitech G9x (~70$)
Corsair P128GB SSD (~250$) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...233087&cm_re=128gb_ssd-_-20-233-087-_-Product
G.Skill 8GB (4GBx2) (~185$) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295
Razer Mousepad (~30$)

So basically, the total amount would be approximately close to that of the G73-A1 model (maybe slightly more, slightly less) but ultimately, it would be what I would want if I chose the Acer model.

Now what I would like in terms of feedback would be:

1. Would it be a better decision to go for the quantity as opposed to the quality for the same amount of money I will spend? (AKA Acer with the bunch of extras vs just the A-1 super pack)
Note: I will not be playing super graphics-intenseive game like Crysis or the like. At this point, I think SC2 would be the most intensive I have in my gaming repretoire and I do not mind it at medium settings.

2. Opinions on the Acer model in mind would be great as well.

3. Though the laptop has a keyboard and ordering one for 70$ seems like a waste, I do not think I can game properly with a keyboard on a laptop.

4. Should I slap myself for overthinking things like this?

Thanks for the help and hope to get along with yee gents. I plan to lurk and stay awhile.

Cheers.

If you're planning on gaming, I would go for the better laptop. You'll be more happy with the performance of the ASUS machine imo.

I went with the ASUS N61JQ-A1 which has an ATI 5730. It handles everything that I throw at it, although some things require lower gfx settings. If I had the option of going with a mobile 5870 I would have.

I find that with laptops, find out what you plan on using it for and go 1 or 2 steps beyond what you need right now. This will ensure that the laptop will serve you well for a longer period. Either machine will do what you need, but I think that you will be happier with the G73JH-X1.

One of the reasons why I am so unsure between the two is because of the horror stories of ASUS tech support. I understand that the minority experiences the problems but I am afraid of having to send it back and wait an indefinite time to get it back. I am still leaning towards the Acer but more input would be helpful. Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind. On uhat note, I have until next Friday to make my choice so I am not in a hurry.

One of the reasons why I am so unsure between the two is because of the horror stories of ASUS tech support. I understand that the minority experiences the problems but I am afraid of having to send it back and wait an indefinite time to get it back. I am still leaning towards the Acer but more input would be helpful. Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind. On uhat note, I have until next Friday to make my choice so I am not in a hurry.

I've had nothing but great experiences with Asus tech support. Granted it's all been motherboards but I'm curious to see where you've heard these stories.

I suppose it might be an asinine assumption on my part but I read through Newegg reviews and a thread on the notebook on a different forum. Granted the opinions are few amongst the positives, I can't help but be paranoid about it. Heh.

Something to keep in mind- a lot of people dont feel the need to write about something if its a good experience.

You certainly have a point there. I am starting to lean towards the G73 now in any case. So is the included mouse any good or should I shell out for a G9x from Logitech?

You certainly have a point there. I am starting to lean towards the G73 now in any case. So is the included mouse any good or should I shell out for a G9x from Logitech?

Well if its included you can always try it and see if you like it.

Back