• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu Maybe Blocking Windows Install Right

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaosmachine420

I installed Ubuntu to try it out to see if it was simple in desktop then server wouldn't be too bad to use once we get one. I installed the 10.04LTS on to both my hard drives but not at the same time. I uninstalled the first time because my internet wouldnt turn on in Windows. I then thought maybe it was interfering with what i had installed on my main drive. Then I installed it once on the second one but didnt completely make it said my disc had errors but only fringer prints were on the disc. So then I tried it a second time and it went through but after that the net didnt work on both still which uninstalled. I completely wiped my first drive clean after backing up my work to see if maybe I needed to do that and 3 times 2 different discs and one 10.10 it still didnt give me net. I installed windows again and after 3 installs it has given me my net back but now wont boot up all the way after the first time it freezes on the background screen.

It has nothing to do with Ubuntu
I know you may say "it worked before" but once windows loads it is windows. In fact it cant even understand what it perceives as jibberish coming from ubuntu partitions.

You may have hardware problems or windows is just doing hte funky chicken on you

Or Ubuntu put a firewall on that doesn't allow you to have such a security risk on your system. Ok I will be serious now, maybe the drive bit the dust, I had 1 & Ubuntu kept freezing when I tried putting it on that drive.

Ok Ubuntu doesnt freeze when I put that back on there but Windows does freeze after you restart the computer after the first time your on the desktop. This never happened until I installed Ubuntu. My drive should be good its only been 6 months since I got it. Oh ya I did the msconfig in Windows and in the boot sequence thing it has nothing in there is that my main cause maybe?

Well I am not a "Windows guy" But I can assure you 100% that this is not the fault of Ubuntu. if the OS isn't loaded it has no say over what you do with your computer. In the same mannor that I have a small windows partition that rarely gets used. It cannot control what I do in linux. If it could it would defeat the purpose of having a dual boot

This isn't ubuntu. You have something wacky going on on a hardware level I think. I would suspect the hard drive because of the erratic nature of the problem.

I just love Windows, the thing brakes if you look at it the wrong way, the only reason I still have it is games... Did you do a memtest?

I installed Ubuntu to try it out to see if it was simple in desktop then server wouldn't be too bad to use once we get one. I installed the 10.04LTS on to both my hard drives but not at the same time. I uninstalled the first time because my internet wouldnt turn on in Windows. I then thought maybe it was interfering with what i had installed on my main drive. Then I installed it once on the second one but didnt completely make it said my disc had errors but only fringer prints were on the disc. So then I tried it a second time and it went through but after that the net didnt work on both still which uninstalled. I completely wiped my first drive clean after backing up my work to see if maybe I needed to do that and 3 times 2 different discs and one 10.10 it still didnt give me net. I installed windows again and after 3 installs it has given me my net back but now wont boot up all the way after the first time it freezes on the background screen.

OK, you got waay too much going on here, just use one hard drive and:

A. do your windows install, but don't use the whole disc, leave part of it unformatted/unpartitioned.

B. do the Ubuntu install, use the free space on the disc. That's it. Grub bootloader will list your windows install, but will boot to ubuntu within a few seconds by default.

If there are network issues with this desktop, you need to be looking at your hardware setup.

Burn partedmagic to a cd/dvd - it's really useful for adjusting partitions and checking filesystems, both linux and windows.

I did do a memtest and I can boot up in safe mode but not in the regular without it just staying there and i hope your sure Ubuntu didnt cause this problem because this didnt happen untill after i installed it.

if you can get up in safe mode, but not protected mode (what we consider 'normal' operation of windows...oh man... i just aged myself right there... safe/real/protected modes... LAWL) then one of the following has occured:

1. There is a piece of software/driver loading on boot that is screwing up. A simple test of turning off all the programs that load on start ought to show if this is the case or not.

(commands capitalized for emphasis, do this in SAFEMODE)This can be done by clicking on START, then clicking on RUN. Type in MSCONFIG. hit enter on your keyboard.
Go to the STARTUP tab. Uncheck everything. close the window, and when it prompts you, restart the machine. If it comes up fine, then all you hafta do is do the MSCONFIG dance of opening up MSCONFIG, turning on 1 item at a time in the STARTUP tab, then rebooting till it borks again.

2. The other option is you have malware that is messing up the windows boot. There are programs you can get in the linux environment that can do scans on your system (CLAMAV being one of the more popular ones) to see if it detects anything. Or, you could boot into SAFEMODE-WITH-NETWORKING, and download a couple-3 things that will help scan your system.

I personally use:

Combofix
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Then after running both of them, reboot and see if it boots properly.

Back