• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kiotie

[Solved] Can't Overclock

Hi, this is my first time on these forums. I can't find anywhere else to get help for this, so I thought I'd try this.

Now to the problem.

I want to overclock my Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz to 3.0GHz or preferably more. However, either the motherboard or CPU doesn't want to do it. I'm relatively new to overclocking, but by no means am I new to working on computers.

What happens is when I try to increase the FSB of the CPU within the BIOS, I restart and the computer won't start up. It seems like it doesn't go past POST for some reason. When I cut power to it, the BIOS will reset the CPU to it's default values, allowing the computer to boot. The default FSB for it is 333, but I can only get it to about 340 before it stops booting. :shrug:

Here are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
2x 1GB Corsair PC2-6400
ASRock G31M-S R2.0

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• cpuz1.bmp
    474.6 KB · Views: 204
  • cpuz2.bmp
    474.6 KB · Views: 198
  • cpuz3.bmp
    474.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
That would be as far as it gets. Around 340fsb limitation for G31 chipset.

If that board has a PCI-E Frequency adjustment....try 104...you should be able to gain up to 350fsb.

I would say board as well. Those Conroes can handle a lot of volts too, if you have the cooling.

Wow, so I bought this board thinking it would be an okay overclocker and this happens. Hahaha, my fault I guess. Thanks for the replies though, I really appreciate it.

By increasing the FSB you're also increasng the DRAM frequency. Using the current 5:6 FSB : DRAM ratio, and bumping the FSB to 375MHz for example (375MHz x 8 = 3.0GHz), the effective DRAM frequency becomes 450MHz (DDR3-900) which is well above the 400MHz the RAM is rated at. At a FSB of 340-375MHz, change the DRAM frequency to DDR3-680 to DDR3-750 (1:1 FSB : DRAM ratio) w/ the DRAM timings manually set to 5-5-5-18-2T.

Back