• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF is up with Speedfan vs. Core temp vs. RealTemp (See screenshot)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Obersturmfuhrer

What do you guys make of this??? Check out these wacky readings from SpeedFan... They are completely different than Coretemp and Realtemp... Whats going on here?? lol

Please tell me the SpeedFan one is the accurate one! =) :bday:

RealTemp and Core Temp are right. I've never used speedfan, so I don't know why it's reporting those temps, but I supect you might be able to fix this issue through one or more of speedfans options.

They are all software monitoring tools based on algorithms to calculate temp.

While core/real temp are pretty good at maintaining the right ratio in the standard area of CPU temps... they fail horribly if too high or too low.

Speedfan, I have never gotten that program to work right on any PC in the last 6 years.. so I just dismiss it out of hand.

Most likely socket temp not core temps. (JMHO)

FYI coretemp and real temp IIRC are pretty much the same exact app (algorithm)... if there was a difference between them I would be surprised.

Speedfan if off-road. :D
For Nehalem and latter CPUs TJMax value is written in MSR so no more guess.
Bottom line trust CoreTemp and/or RealTemp.

Back