• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just built my first PC in 9 years. AMD p2 x4-955 + m4a78t-e, advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AaronP

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long and obscure title. It's been a LONG while since i've been on this board as my desktop needs haven't been there sine 2005 and I finally bit the bullet, lit the pipe, sniffed the line, or however you say it and got back into the game.

I built myself a modest system, very modest because this + monitor was under $900 total with taxes, so I wanted very good bang for my buck. I'm currently installing win7ult x64 now, so just waiting for that to be done. But it's been such a long time since I've done this, I don't know:
- what tests to run
- what drivers to install
- if i should flash the bios
- what I need to do to make sure I can start overclocking it

My configuration:
my configuration said:
CPU: AMD phenom II x4-955 black edition (yay for unlocked multi - nay for stock cooler)
Mobo: ASUS M4A78T-E board (w/ a os-like bios that has an error currently)
Ram: 2x G.skill 9-9-9-24 pc1600 sticks
GFX: XFX radeon 5770
PSU: OCZ modxstream 700w
HDD: Western Digital 640gb
Case: Antec Three Hundred mini tower

My basic questions are:

-What are the first things I should do once the OS is installed? Are there drivers, software, or anything else that needs installing?
-What tests, benches, or drivers should I be looking at installing?
-what should be OC path be here? I have the stock cooler on the CPU (unless my zalman mobile athlon 2500 cooler will fit lol), what should I be starting and expecting on coler?
- Is my bios sufficient to OC right now or does it need flashing?

Sorry for the very noob like questions, given my join date I should know this, but again it'll take a little bit before I'm back in the game.

Thanks in advanced, OCF :)

First, When os is intalled ( which one ) XP/Win7/Linus...
If win7, its automatically install update.
For OC. - Prime 95, Occt,for cpu. Furmark for Gpu.
You are expecting a 3.8/4ghz o.c for a 955 rev C3 @ 1.45V.core + (depend on ur cpu)
Temps should not exceed 55Degree after streseed with prime 95 or occt.
Get a Top performing atftermarket cooler.
Head to the Amd Cpu section, and read dolks O.C guides for O.C AMD CPU its easy :D read and do it!

You'll need to install the hardware drivers from the CD that came with your Mobo.

I'd also check in BIOS to make sure the RAM voltage and timing is correct for the RAM you are using.

I use IntelBurn and OCCT to quickly determine system stability. After that I run Prime 95 for 24 hours to confirm system stability. If you care about benches Futuremark will allow you to compare your hardware with other people's. I use Futuremark Vantage.

You'll need to install the hardware drivers from the CD that came with your Mobo.

I'd also check in BIOS to make sure the RAM voltage and timing is correct for the RAM you are using.

I use IntelBurn and OCCT to quickly determine system stability. After that I run Prime 95 for 24 hours to confirm system stability. If you care about benches Futuremark will allow you to compare your hardware with other people's. I use Futuremark Vantage.

Thanks for the very helpful post!

First, When os is intalled ( which one ) XP/Win7/Linus...
If win7, its automatically install update.
For OC. - Prime 95, Occt,for cpu. Furmark for Gpu.
You are expecting a 3.8/4ghz o.c for a 955 rev C3 @ 1.45V.core + (depend on ur cpu)
Temps should not exceed 55Degree after streseed with prime 95 or occt.
Get a Top performing atftermarket cooler.
Head to the Amd Cpu section, and read dolks O.C guides for O.C AMD CPU its easy :D read and do it!

Drivers from CD is a must as I forgot one VERY key element to my build...a wireless network adapter!! :( lol i'm off to the store to buy one haha.

You're gonna like the techno improvements from '02. :thup:

My last build actually was quite sexy, Abit NF7S r2.0, 1 gb dual channel, mobile athlon 2500, great OC, it was a lot of fun lol. Softmodded a radeon 9500 to a 9800.

Anyways, I'm sure I will. Once I install that wireless card tomorrow, I'll feel better lol.

Back