• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Stuttering.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trueplaya4ever8

I have a gateway p7811fx. Was nice at first had its fair share of problems.

But I just put a fresh install of windows and it is like stuttering during regular use, like browsing the internet. I click a program I get the not responding for a second then it comes back to life.

Then I get errors on my torrents because of an I/O device error. I did a disk check for errors it came back clean.

Any help would be appreciated, cause I'm feeling a little bit lost.

do the deeper disk check, which takes forever. the normal disk check doesnt really do much. the first level of that is to select AUTOFIX, which checks a little deeper, even though it sounds like an Auto/manuel setting.
the next level "Scan for bad sectors", reads and checks the WHOLE disk, which takes forever.

Do the same things you would do to overclock
run a quick CPU based benchmark, and see if it does things quickly
run a Hard benchmark or long benchamark and see if the CPU thermally balks from overheating and saving itself.
check the temps, under a load
do the memtests

of course you might have a driver issue, that might (or not) show when doing the other test, but at least it gets clues, or gets that out of the way.

for the symptoms you mention it would be useless to do a 3D testing stuff on a laptop, at least till you found what was going on. so that is one less thing in the way

if the test show it is capable, then go through the list of stuff running next.
you just reinstalled, which puts the whole PILE back on, and turns any tweaks you had done before off.
so get those first 20 performance tweaks you always do done. then see where your at.
then you will have rebooted a few times, and some of the AUTO performace enhancing junk (that doesnt work) will have been done, like Prefetcher, and boot prefetcher , mabey force a defrag.

Torrents, used to be that they were the "solution" to getting viruses from P2P, they are now (like everything) as loaded with virus and malware as the rest of the stuff is, soooo, next thing would be to run your various malware and virus scan stuff, and (again) check the running/starting programs list.

After all that is kosherized, the next thing would be, trying to discover if any drivers are in need of updating. because putting winders reinstall would have knocked off any previously updated drivers that you had installed. so you check the versions or dates of say . . . the video driver . then find the video driver updates, and see if you need to do those.

Last edited:
Back