• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4870 onboard fan controller dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3xtgen

Registered
I have had this Asus EAH4870HD graphics card for almost 2 years. Recently my onboard fan controller died on me, fan would not spin. So now I have it connected directly to my power supply at all times. Do you think I should be OK for now? Will the cooling get worse?

Thanks

No, it won't get worse unless the fan breaks. If you wired it straight to your PSU 12V line, then the only difference is that the fan will always run at 100%, so it might be very loud.

That card might still be under warranty. If you can, i would try and send it back for RMA. You might get an 'upgrade' or a direct replacement.

I asked around on the ASUS forums a while back about this problem and no one replied or answered my question :(. You think I could still get it replaced? Im not sure if its still under warranty or not.

Edit: I bought my system with a 3 year warranty but the place I bought it at went out of business, is my warranty still valid? It would still have 1 year left.

Last edited:
I would register that video card at Asus. If you have the receipt of your PC, then use that for purchase date because you'll need it to validate the warranty. Hopefully the video card will be seen as 'retail' and have the full 3 year warranty.

I registered my product when I purchased it. Just contacted ASUS and was told to fill out the RMA form. Hopefully I get a new card :D

Thanks

Back