• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bandwidth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Spec_Ops2087 said:
sweet I almost got a mb a sec (932.8kbps) :)

many people are confused on this topic, im not sure if you are or not, im just going to use you as an example.

many people think 1000kbps = 1 Megabyte per second. Unfortunitly, this is not true. 1000kbps (kilobits per second) = 125 Kilobytes per second (1000/8 becasue there are 8 bits in a byte. for example, T1 is 1.544Mbits per second. this really only is eqivilent to 193 KB (Kilobytes per second).

So according to the site, your download speed is 116.6 KB per second.

Just though i would clear that up, i know i used to be confused by it.

1000kbps (Kilobits) is = to 1Mbps(Megabits)
1000KBps (Kilobytes) is = to 1MBps (Megabytes)

It's all about if the "b" or "B" is caps or not
KB = kilobytes
Kb = kilobits
MB = Megabytes
Mb = megabits

You divide Kilobytes by 8 to get Kilobits...
you divide Megabytes by 8 to Megabits...

My cable is 700/200KB/s

Yeah we were talkin about this test in another thread,, it's not worth much :p
I don't think any of the online tests are any good....

Yea this is another bad site..I can only wish I got these speeds!!! Im capped at 1.5 and usually run just a bit higher than that. The two most consistant ones are the ones at DSL reports and also at www.speedtest.net which I like because It does both up and download and you can choose the size of the packet sent.

I wish I got these speeds!!!

Doctor Feelgood said:
It's cable (Optimum Online from Cablevision)... I'm in NJ, too.

Yeah I have OOL also...
What server u run the test on?

On the 2 west cost servers my upload was about 100Kb/s faster then urs but ur download was about 2000Kb/s faster then mine :p
But doin file transfers I've hit 700KB/s down and 200KB/s up, so those speed tests are way off anyway...
I couldn't run the east cost test,, only on off peak hours...

OK it must of been 98se on this comp..
This comp tested 600/900Kb/s
My other comp running XP on my network tested 3000/900Kb/s
Guess the OS does make a diff :p

This is the XP test results...
I'll get the 98 results tomrw, dslreports only lets u have 4 tests per ip
dslreportsXP.jpg

2.6kbps!

I knew it was slow, but that is wwwaaaay too slow :D

I'm actually using the east coast server, which you can't get to directly any more. I'll post a link later (it's on my bookmarks at home).

I usually get better upload speeds (between 1010 and 1100), but that 3800 is my best download... I usually get 3500 to 3700 on those.

I have two comps hooked to a D-link router and the cable modem... one with Win98 (a tbird 750 oc'ed to 1000) one with WinXP (a XP 1600+)... and both get similar scores. Don't know if OS matters, really.

Have you done the DRTCP tweaks?

Back