• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samtothelefet

Registered
With a little help from this site, I successfully installed my first Motherboard (Intel D865GLC) but I have a question regarding the BIOS.

After completing the Motherboard installation, I logged in to the PC to install the software and got a splash screen that displays Intel Desktop Boards, the message on the next screen states Press 4 to run setup. Also a serial number is listed. I have never dealt with Bios issues so I'm not sure how to move forward. :shrug: I called HP (hoping to get some free advice) and a tech stated the old serial number needed to be cleared, so I would have to take the PC to a local HP Authorized dealer because a Bios Utility mechanism is needed to clear the password as the Motherboard was installed in an HP case. Is there another alternative?

Many Thanks!

It's an older board that was still in the box that I bought at a computer parts clearance sale. Called the HP authorized dealer who stated a bios utility is needed so serial numbers will match. I'm not understanding this at all.

I logged in to the PC to install the software and got a splash screen that displays Intel Desktop Boards, the message on the next screen states Press 4 to run setup. Also a serial number is listed. I have never dealt with Bios . . .

i dont understand?
you logged into the PC? so you logged into some operating system?
then you have to deal with a Bios?
what did you log into?
what splash screen? a Bios splash screen?

where is the hard drive from? could it be a hard drive with a recovery partition?

Did you try and clear the bios itself?
what would a serial number have to do with a Case for ? unless it is an OS OEM issues and a OS instalation or operation issue?

what stopped you from moving foreward? did you hit 4? and go to the setup?

I turned on PC and got the Intel Desktop Board Screen. There is no operating system installed yet. The hard drive is from Western Digital and I have no idea if the drive has a recovery partition. I thought removing the battery would clear the BIOS. The tech said that serial numbers had to match in order for the Bios to be updated. What stopped me from moving forward was pressing F4 and seeing a setup screen with numerous options. I had no idea how to move forward from there.

Did I even have to go into the BIOS settings (F4) at all? Should I have just installed the operating system?

I turned on PC and got the Intel Desktop Board Screen. There is no operating system installed yet. The hard drive is from Western Digital and I have no idea if the drive has a recovery partition. I thought removing the battery would clear the BIOS. The tech said that serial numbers had to match in order for the Bios to be updated. What stopped me from moving forward was pressing F4 and seeing a setup screen with numerous options. I had no idea how to move forward from there.

ok so that makes much more sence. the "intel desktop board screen" is the bios logo screen.

yes Bios has option, that is what it is there for. everything ok so far.

Did I even have to go into the BIOS settings (F4) at all? Should I have just installed the operating system?

Sure you could look around learn something.
check to see if any drive you were intending to install to, or install from is showing up.

and yes next thing after checking to see if the drives are there, and the memory is showing up as intended, and all, would be to install some operating system.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I remember seeing information about the memory but nothing about the hard drive; I'll go back and look to make sure it's there.

Back