• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comparison, LG Monitor LED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

decoste007xt

So I've been looking at getting a monitor locally and they offer this.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=1fd5448b5c4cf3e5dda5e17bc8b734b8en02

3,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio for that price, and high resolution.. and LED sounded fishy to me.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=53305&vpn=E2340T-PN&manufacture=LG Electronics

They have a 23inch LED LG on sale for $199 right now but its nowhere near 3million to 1... is 3million to 1 an error/typo ?

Infact its only 1000:1 .. it just doesn't sound right to me somehow.

but that says 5million to 1 contrast ratio
and only 250 cd/m2
and 5 ms

wow , if only all that meant something compared to the original specs they started using when making these things.

"dynamic Contrast" is not the light valve contrast, it is inclusive of hardware tricks to expand the contrast, tricks which look like poo :) ever see the screen flashing when you go from a white page to a black page, well that is dynamic, by many other cute names depeding on the manufacture . it can be turned off, and is usually poorly implemented, so i turn it off, because i dont like the thing changing.
if the monitor doesnt try and do these tricks because of a different engine in the monitor, it could have the exact SAME LCD screen but not have the same measured contrast ratios.

(DFC) <--- did you see this next to the spec? i am not even going to bother looking, i just assume it means Doofus Fudged Contrast numbers :)

my monitor is 400cd things, but the backlight itself is very adjustable even though it uses a CCRT a LED backlight can be turned off completly , there is no arc to keep the tube glowing needed. they can therfore go fully black even with a light valve unit, and make believe that it has full on off light ratios of a OLED.

with a 250 it indeed could have a better twisted matrix kinda light valve thing, because the more they get the light valve to go Black, and the better the viewing angle, the harder it is to get light through it when it is clear.
measured Contrast ratio is most extended when the screen can go Black. with little backlight :) well it can start lower cant it. plus they are blending the light differently with leds than they do with CCRT, which means no more X patterns and teeney bit brighter areas.

if your getting a 250, make sure you dont have a lot of Light in your computer room, as in the sun blazing around.

Speed/rate
like now instead of using full valve closure from white to black for the speed, they are now doing G-G or grey to grey. so the speed (5ms) might represent from 20%-80% but as we all know it was full change stuff that ghosted. not some Grey to grey stuff. next week it will be from 30% grey to 60% grey and it wont be comparable again. so without knowing what tricks they use to determine a light valve pixel changed, we can not be sure that thier rated speed means anything.

and even Color.
they even do dynamic tricks with the colors to get big color numbers going, sure it can do 32 million colors, but can it do them all at the same time :)

i think as usual there is a lot of marketing Hype going on here, and some of the things dont make diddle difference, and some of them make a lot of differance, and some of them ammount to lying when the measurement of the known specs changes like night and day . and different manufactures like to fuddle up the numbers using cheap tricks.

that is my opinion, i wish they still used the original specs they started with, instead of changing them, because things still improved a lot without having to lie about them.

Last edited:
Ahh its clear I know very little about monitors. Cancelling my order on NCIX until i do some proper research.. I jumped the gun on it cause I saw $100 off =(

still LED backlight LCDs are much better then the normal LCD's. yes LED's will offer better blacks and higher contrast ratios. though i didnt go with a monitor, from what i can see they dont make Full arry LED monitors yet. is hard to do in a small screen like that, i say small. Since im using a LG 47in LED that is full array and THX certified.

just my suggestion, buy a nice LED for the cheapest you can. it is only going to be a year or two before we start seeing some AMOLED/OLED screens for monitors.

I have not looked at LED monitors, but at least for LED TVs they do have AMAZING contrast ratios and blacks that just look awesome

i have the LG 2250 LED LCD...love it! huge step up from my old lcd.

i think the 2250 is the 22.5" version of the 2350 with is a 23".

i wanted the 22.5 cause side by side mine looked crisper then the 23" cause its the same matrix spread .5 inch further.

Back