• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with i7 OC. First time and confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rotatox

Hi guys,

Just attempting my first OC,, i have just purchased teh system and Ive adjusted the following setting as per Adam Cantrills guide. Wanting to get 4-4.2ghz

BCLK 160
QPI 1.2v
Core voltage (vcore) 1.2

Clock Speed - 3.52ghz

So far so good, I did a 4hr prime95'blend test at wit was hovering around 65-68 the while time.

My system specs

i7 930
GB 58x UD7
patriot 2000mhz 6gb ram
Noctua cpu cooler (s12)
lancool K60 case (4X 120/140MM CASE FANS)

Is there anything else i need to do before i go further, other guides seem to change more settings, but from all teh reading ive become so confused.

Its mainly Flight simulator X im concerned about

If you guys could guide me through it and i will report back temps etc that would be great!

I am ok on a computer although dont understand alot of teh technical jargon, so bear with me please.

Many Thanks In advance

Frank

Try 200x20 1.3vcore VTT 1.3v and Make sure Turbo Boost and the power saving features are off. Disable C1e, EIST and spread spectrum. Getting to 4ghz for you might not be possible because if your temps are that high right now, then it will be well in the 80's at 4ghz. Get a better CPU cooler and/or get a faster fans for your current heatsink. FSX is GPU dependant. Overclocking to 5ghz won't make too much of a difference. Hope this helps.

also be sure to manually set your ram to factory specs.. probably something like 8-8-8-8-24-1t and using 1.65volts

Yeah I had a feeling that the temps were a kittle higher than they should be, the cooler on there ATM is massive! I thought it would have done a better job. Ad idle the computer is in te low 30's.

Is it ok to go to that straight up?
I'll give it a try nonetheless and report back, I can disable hyperthreading too? Is that meant to reduce temps aswell right?

From personal experience, disabling HT provides greater stability at overclocks but at the cost of higher temps.(Atleast when running games)

Someone please confirm that. :)

Ok I was too scared to go to 4.0 straight away, so I'm at 3.73ghz ATM and doing the intel burn test, 5 passes at maximum and highest reading is 67c.
I have no idea what these mean but gflops are 53.8
Consistently, results are all 3.36.....

Bclk is 170x22
Qpi is 1.3
Dram 1.6
Vcore 1.225

Disabled ht, cie, eist as you recommended but couldn't find the speed spectrum thing in bios.

Results ok so far?

Is the intel burn test ok? Prime is too slow!!! I haven't got that much patience!

You should enable Hyper Threading, kind of the whole point of having a core i7. In actual applications, HT can be beneficial if it's multithreaded.

I have been attempting the overclock using the guide from this site, but im a little unsure on the vcore. on step one, do i just leave teh vcore on auto as i try to find the highest bclk? when i did the IBT on 180x15 it went up to 1.36v in CPUZ so i stopped it. I was a bit worried it would go too high. Im a little confused becuase i only used 1.225v for the old overclock listed further up at 3.63ghz.

I have been attempting the overclock using the guide from this site, but im a little unsure on the vcore. on step one, do i just leave teh vcore on auto as i try to find the highest bclk? when i did the IBT on 180x15 it went up to 1.36v in CPUZ so i stopped it. I was a bit worried it would go too high. Im a little confused becuase i only used 1.225v for the old overclock listed further up at 3.63ghz.

Yes, leave the vcore alone while going after your highest bclk.

ok i did the 1st step from the guide.

It wont pass 180x15. i get a bsod 124code (which i beleive is vcore?)
I have the ioh/vtt up at 3.2

Is there anything im missing?

settings i was at were
bclk -180
cpu clock ratio - x15
uncore ratio - x20
spd multi - x6
qpi/vtt - 1.32v
ioh - 1.1v

I did 3x runs of IBT (max) with the same settings as over on 170x15 with 1.24v qpi/vtt and it passsed

tried 180 at 1.3v qpi/vtt and a no go, i think it bsod on the third run, then tried 190 with1.32v qpi/vtt and still no go

Temps we up to 78c this time

Is this a really **** chip? and i had left vcore on auto the whole time.

I've been trying everything but can't seem to get it working, with a1.34v qpi I managed to do a 180x12 but cannot get to 190. It starts loading then restarts, I'm so confused, I'm constantly getting bsod code 124

I've spent a bucket load of money on this computer and want 4ghz desperately

I gave up doing it by the book, I found a template, except I changed vcore 1.2875v with 190x21 bclk.

It booted into windows and I did a 3 test run at max on ibt and it passed maxing at 80c

Next boot up I had a blank screen appear after 5-10 in windows so I'm unsure on what to adjust to stop that from happening?

CPU Clock Ratio ................................19
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................Disabled
CPU Cores Enabled ..........................All
CPU Multi Threading ..........................Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................. Disabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support ................... Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor .......................Disabled
CPU EIST Function ............................ Disabled
Virtualization Technology .................Enabled
Bi-Directional PROCHOT ....................Enabled

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ................................x36 (7.59 ghz)
Uncore Frequency ..........................x16 (3376 mhz)
Isonchronous Frequency ............... Enabled

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control .................. [Enable] Enabled
BCLK Frequency (MHz) .........................211
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ............. 101

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................700
PCI Express Clock Drive ................ 700
CPU Clock Skew ............................ 0
IOH Clock Skew ............................. 0

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance .......................... Standard
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... Disabled
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... 8x
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. Quick

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
CAS Latency Time ..................9
tRCD ......................................9
tRP ........................................9
tRAS ......................................24
CR..........................................1

Advanced Voltage Control:

Load Line Calibration .................... Level 1
CPU Vcore 1.08750 ........................ Normal
Dynamic Vcore Adjust (DVID)............[0.000] +0.200
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.200v ................ 1.240v
CPU PLL 1.800v ..............................[1.80] 1.84
PCIE 1.500v ................................... Normal
QPI PLL 1.100v .............................. Normal
IOH Core 1.100v ............................ Normal
ICH I/O 1.500v ............................... Normal
ICH Core 1.1v ................................ Normal

DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500v ................ 1.60v
DRAM Termination 0.750v........... 0.80
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ............... 0.80
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ............... 0.80
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ................ 0.80
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ........... 0.80
Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v ........... 0.80
Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v ........... 0.80

Vcore is too low. 3 runs in intel burn isn't enough. Put it to 10 runs at max memory. Then run all runs.
Put vcore to 1.35 and run tests if passes fine, then lower it a bit and test and see if its stable. Rinse and repeat.

Back