• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

missing anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monstergamin

Registered
Sometimes I wonder how I got by without getting my second opinions from overclockers.com
ok here is what I working on now ,I am in the middle of a second phase of upgrades I so far have decided to get a second Video card so I can run crossfire looks like I have a ATI 4870x2 to team with my single 4870. I currently have a Coolermaster real power pro 650 watt which was plenty while I was running 2 8800gts in SLI. I am guessing running 3 4870 GPU's would be ok with a 650W psu since I dont really have any other xtras running but my old PS only has 2 6pin plugs each on a diffrent rail and the way it is set up I would have to run both cards on only 2 rails, using the main plug and an adapter on each rail and that just seems cheesy to me not to mention I think it would stress the PS.
What I am looking for is a min 850 watts, 4 6 pin plugs and managable rails a modular psu would be fine I think? the key is I need to stay around $100-$125 can I get a few suggestion that will give the most bang per buck? and is there anything I am over looking?
is there any advantages over a modoalar to a reg psu?

Last edited:
This is the PSU I would get if I were you...it's in your price range after a 10$ rebate.

It's also a single rail PSU, wich is the prefered setup with multi gpu's, I have had freinds that had realy bad luck with multi rail PSU's and multi GPU's...I have used only single rail PSU's and never had an issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

Double check to see if it has enough connectors for you though.

Also, with modular power supplies, over time the connectors tend to loose integrity..nothing beats hard wire and solder!

Back