• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help getting i7-930 stable at 4.2ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maf5693

Hey I have been working forever now to get me i7-930 stable at 4.20 and it just seems to not be working. Whever I get the voltage too low ( at least I think its because its too low) I get a kernel panic-not syncing while running prime95 (im running debian linux) and if its too high even by like .00625 it will just shut off. Here are my specs-
mobo:
ASRock Extreme x58
ram:
4gb OCZ Reaper 2000mhz (at 1200mhz for OC'ing)
Cooler:
Corsair H50

CPU Settings:

BCLK: 200
PCIE : 100
Boot Failure Guard: Enabled
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Ratio: 21
QPI Frequency: 7,200
Uncore: Auto
DRAM: DDR3 1200
Timing: 9-9-9-24-92
VDroop: Disabled
VCore: 1.36
DRAM Voltage: 1.654
IOH: 1.327
VTT: 1.34
ICH: 1.26
IOH CSI: 1.32
IOH/ICH PCIE: 1.62
CPU PLL: 1.90

Enhanced Halt State: Disabled
Virtualization Tech: Disabled
Thermal Throttling: Disabled
No-Execute: Disabled
HT Tech: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
A20M: Disabled
SpeedStep: Disabled
Turbo Mode: Disabled
C-State: Disabled

Thanks in advance!

ps: this lasts about 40 seconds small fft test with 8 threads and passes blend test 8 threads

temps never go above 86 C- Ive seen it hit 100C without shutting off so i know this isnt the problem- im using sensors with a bash script to constantly monitor temps in a subshell

ok so basically the problem is if the voltage is higher than the absolute minimum needed to run at a certain clock speed it will inevitably shut down- at 4.0 ghz with 1.31ghz and 1.55vtt it runs prime95 8 threads small fft 100% load at like 87C for like 15 minutes then just shuts off. Why is it dooing this it is not overheating????

Im no expert but that setup looks like a sure-fire way to fry ur system within a relatively short period of time... not enough safe guards in place.. Maybe for a quick bench, but for 24/7, no way

What are your idle temps? And anyway, why dont be satisfied with the common 4.0GHz with bclk at 200 or 191 and multi at 19 or 20 @ 1.268v.. Keeps idle temps at 40C and system is 24/7 stable.. extra .2 GHz wont make too much difference and plus you'll extend the life of ur system.

Me personall, I turn on speedstep, C1E, C-state, etc...

But, if u insisst on running 4.2, I suggest upping ur vcore in increments until u reach a stable platform...u may need to near the 1.4 mark.. especially with HT enabled.

ok so basically the problem is if the voltage is higher than the absolute minimum needed to run at a certain clock speed it will inevitably shut down- at 4.0 ghz with 1.31ghz and 1.55vtt it runs prime95 8 threads small fft 100% load at like 87C for like 15 minutes then just shuts off. Why is it dooing this it is not overheating????

Can you describe the shutdown? Is it a lock-up, or a reboot, or a power off?

1.55V VTT is WAY too high for your settings, 1.2V should be plenty! 1.55V is too high for daily use IMO ;) I'm guessing that's your problem.

Check the guide linked in my sig for a nice methodical approach to overclocking your system :thup:

Try enabling vdroop.. Helps with Bclk stability... maybe that will help. also refer to i7 OC guide on this forum, have u checked it out yet here ?

@ Obersturmfuhrer....there is an updated version of that guide (linked in my sig) :cool:

@ Obersturmfuhrer....there is an updated version of that guide (linked in my sig) :cool:

o sorry. im so outdated :rain: lol

great guide BTW.

Personally I've found XMP profile works great as long as u got the RAM timings down and vcore/bclk set right (vdroop enabled also) other than that, she flies!! Dont really have to mess with any other variables and system stays stable, provided basically two factors are in harmony: BCLK & Vcore, that's it, or at least the essense of it. XMP Should automatically set your timings right, then just selected the lowest closest ram Mhz, (unless u do the ol' classic 20x200 setting, which sets ya right @ 1603MHz, the sweet spot! :) ) (on rampage II extreme)

alright so turns out the mobo was defective- replaced it with my personal favorite- EVGA :thup: and reseated the h50 it dropped like 15 degrees and now all i have to do is adjust the timings- ill post later with my specs- im currently stable at 4.1 trying to get up to 4.2 ill let you know:)

i enabled vdroop and that SIGNIFICANTLY reduced temps- like 15C--heres my specs
bclk 195
ratio 21
clock speed 4.107 ghz
qpi x16

voltages

Vcore 1.34
QPI/VTT 1.35
QPI/PLL 1.3
CPU PLL 1.86
DIMM 1.65
IOH 1.2
ICH 1.2

features

Vdroop enabled
Speedstep disabled
Turbo mode disabled
C-State disabled
virtualization tech disabled

memory

1.956 ghz
timings 9-9-9-26-90

temps

idle 45C
ful load 77C

tool: sensors on debian squeeze 64-bit

side notes

i could get it to 3.8 stable with auto voltages and 1.22 Vcore
and <70C full load but after that it all went up significantly

build:

cpu i7-930
memory OCZ Reaper 2000mhz
mobo EVGA x58 3-way SLI
cooling corsair h50

CPU PLL should not need to be increased....I usually lower mine, but it rarely makes a difference either way.

Try these mem timings: 9-9-9-27 74 1T

Back