• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new computer table for 5.1 speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chocobo

I'm looking for a new table for my computer but I can't seem to find one with good speaker positions.

Any advice? I bought my last one at frys but its alright not the greatest.

ok, so let's get an idea or a drawing of sorts of what you would like

monitor space required?
speakers, are they mounted above or below? Do you have the types that can mount on a wall (like the Logitech satellites that come with the Z2300/5500?)
CPU, where is it located? on the top of the desk? under?
Other things like printers/scanners, etc that need to be considered?
how much space do you have for a desk, width/depth/height?

Speakers are most important. I have a 6' wide desk that can hold a 28" a 22" and both polk 40 monitors. I could put the center channel standing vertically between but do not game enough to make surround necessary anymore.

If you aretalking a logitech setup... I would just put the center speaker in front of the monitor (add a 1" - 2" thick book under the monitor if it leaves too little , the L/R channels out the side and the surrounds forward but on the bottom shelves of the desk. Sub down low of course as well but towards the back of the desk...

Mixing the audio you will want to decrease center... and increase surround/rear to still get that room type of surround. (If your back is fairly close to a wall, the surrounds will really bounce back at you a nice effect especially for FPS games).

EDIT: Machinery to build your own desk = $40 circular saw, drill/driver (from $15 t0 $100 if you need cordless or not) and $10 of paint brushes + $3-5 bucks of paint thinner for cleaning the brushes after... I use acetone since it doubles as a medium for Dry Ice cooling my CPU ;) But buy the cheap brushes so when they get ruined after 3-4 cleanings I dont care)

(That is tools... sand paper, stain/poly, wood and screws are the cost of the desk itself...)

Put the speakers on the floor, thats what I do. Good ol 3 foot home audio speakers hooked up to onkyo surround sound system mmmmmmmm.

;)

You might consider getting speaker stands. I found that I could never find the right places on my desk for my speakers.

Also don't forget Neuromancer, you also need some knowhow which he might or might not have and a place to work. For instance I would love to do wood working and make my own desk but I have have to wait until I am in a house as there is not much space to build my own stuff in an apartment.

I have a 24 inch monitor with z-680's. I might just go over to a friend's house and build something or just spend the 80 dollars for the same table at frys lol

Back