• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having more watts then needed, Is it bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

Would it hurt to have alot more wattage for upgrades? I was thinking of getting the corsair 850tx, seems to be a pretty good price around $90 shipped.

No. Not at all. But are you planning on running 2 high end GPU's or something? I dont see a GPU l isted in that PC and wonder why you would want anything more than what you currently have...

Im not sure, My PSU just went 2 days ago so I need a new one. If I can get it at a reasonable price It might be worth it for future upgrades. I have onboard video

Unless you are going SLI with some high end cards, save your money.

A Corsair 650TX will run any single card, some SLI/Crossfire setups (think 460 and 5770) and overclocking.

Doesn't hurt to have more wattage. But like earthdog said unless you plan on SLI there is no need for 850. If its the cheapest deal you can get, then by all means get it.

You forget a third option. Just get the 850 and give it to me. I'm just saying... it's an option.

I would go with the 850 only if it's a screaming price. You don't need it, but a good price is a good price. I build the system I am posting this on that way. I sort of got it piece by piece when prices on a specific component was great. Right now I have an Antec 650W in it, and only really can use a 350W or maybe even a 400W. But the 650 Was around 50% off so I couldn't pass. It was like 5 bucks more than a 400W. If I make a rig with a high end GPU I can now throw that in there instead.

Nothing wrong with overkill PSUs if they're good quality.

Although often they're not as efficient when really underloaded, all have an efficiency curve... some have a wiggly line when comparing load to efficiency.

Nothing wrong with overkill PSUs if they're good quality.

Although often they're not as efficient when really underloaded, all have an efficiency curve... some have a wiggly line when comparing load to efficiency.

I agree i rather have a quality 400watt PSU then a 1000watt generic bestec dynex whatever you call it.

I agree i rather have a quality 400watt PSU then a 1000watt generic bestec dynex whatever you call it.
Overkill PSUs can be useful when you have dirty unstable power, the extra capacitance keeps power flowing even when interrupted for an instant.

Overkill PSUs can be useful when you have dirty unstable power, the extra capacitance keeps power flowing even when interrupted for an instant.

The money saved on a proper sized PSU vs. an overkill PSU could be applied to a quality UPS which would help more with "dirt power" IMO. I can't believe anyone uses a PC these days without a UPS.

I havent either.. I dont know too much about this particular subject, but what I do know is dirty power, to me, is high ripple and noise in the line.

Im also not sure why a larger PSU would protect against line sags, seeing as how its not 'charged' and hold say 700W capacity when its only using 300W. BUt that could be my lack of knowledge. I dont know...

My corsair 400w was more resistant to short brownouts then my silverstone 1000w, the corsair was rated for 90-264v where the silverstone is rated for 100-264v.

Cheap "1000w" psus tend to really be halfway sort of decent 500-600w units.

I decided to go with the Corsair HX620W Power supply. I got for $67 shipped. Should be plenty of power and its modular so that's great. Thanks for everyone's advice.

The money saved on a proper sized PSU vs. an overkill PSU could be applied to a quality UPS which would help more with "dirt power" IMO. I can't believe anyone uses a PC these days without a UPS.
Soo true, UPSs are extremely useful, especially for those who work on their computer... also useful since sometimes they'll get cooked instead of your PC if there's a surge.
I havent either.. I dont know too much about this particular subject, but what I do know is dirty power, to me, is high ripple and noise in the line.
Im also not sure why a larger PSU would protect against line sags, seeing as how its not 'charged' and hold say 700W capacity when its only using 300W. But that could be my lack of knowledge. I dont know...
I've observed that overkill PSUs with active PFC don't cut out as easily when the lights flicker.
I don't know PSUs really well(I've made some crude ones), but the main caps appear to be pretty much a straight path to the mains with all I've seen so they'd always be fully charged, although their charge would be lower with greater load in between the mains' wave.

Yeah, I just dont know. I do know that a singular experience above (Bobn) it didnt work that way...

Back