• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Windows XP problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonnyPx

Hi
I saw this sites thread a few days ago on ovclocking my 2.5ghz e5200 processor, and I overclocked it to about 2.62GHz. It ran fine. However, the next time I turned my computer on, it says
"Windows must be re activated, as it has detected large hardware changes"

So I went to the bios and reverted everything, and it still says windows has to be reactivated.

So, I went throught the steps to re activate it, but about the third step in, it says that "the product key has exceeded the number of times it can be used".
I can either call a rep or type in a(nother?) key.

Can anyone help me?
I have no idea what to do!

Call MS customer service to reactivate. The activation wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

Call MS customer service to reactivate. The activation wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

Ok thanks, is that the same in the UK? (not from the US)
Also when I call them up, do I explain that I overclocked my cpu, or will they not like that? In other words what do I say! Sorry for the hassle!

I cant tell you what to say, if i dont get you in trouble.
I was Adjusting some hardware on my computer and the %@$%#^ thing . . .
umm i just need to get the computer going again :)

because XP is aged, and people stealing things are stealing W7 , the process has gone from Police state to Libertarian :) just go for it, you will be calling the phillipeans anyways .
It is you who shouldnt like the herassment of it becomming useless and requiring your time. If your purchaced a legit licence.
if you didnt pay the piper then Have fun :)

Hi guys, I just rung them up. The windows activation wizard created an ID to type into the handset, and I guess that told them it was a geniune copy of xp, because all it did was tell me a string of numbers. I then inputted that into the PC and it's fine now!
(luckily it didn't ask for the product key, (probably because it could tell it was genuine from the wizards' ID) as I didn't have that anymore, and before hand I was looking all over the house and loft for it! lol

Thanks!

The product key generates that number.

there are programs you can download off the Internet that can tell you your XP CD key. Simply write down that key for future use in case you run into a problem again.

The product key generates that number.

there are programs you can download off the Internet that can tell you your XP CD key. Simply write down that key for future use in case you run into a problem again.

One more question! Is what happened to me a regular occurance? Because if I wanted to overclock a future PC with windows 7, it would be a larger overclock than 2.5 to 2.62Ghz, and even with that small overclock it asked me to reactivate windows. Why isnt everyone that overclocks their CPU getting the same message I did?

It happens when the system "hashes" the hardware , and sees enough changes that it Believes that it is on a different system.

once you are reactivated with any hardware changes or even Flukes that cause the hash to have changed , it is far less likly to occur.

because extreeme overclocking can cause hardware to bail out, or cause flakey data, it can believe wrong. I usually only have this problem when making a lot of hardware adjustements.

activation can be instant web based, or you make a quick call, and go on. it is not going to stop me from upgrading and overclocking and messing with the hardware. I am doing nothing wrong.

Notes: a system clone or mirror backup can sometimes alleviate the situation, as reverting your system back to Pre-broken-activation will set it back where it was. when it was just a fluke that it happened.

Back