• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 460 in Alienware Aurora

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macca

I have an Alienware Aurora, here are the specs.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.2GHz
12GB Triple Channel 1067MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5870, 1GB
1 x 500gb hard drive
2x 1TB hard drives.
525W PSU (came with machine) No idea what it is.

I'm thinking of selling or swapping my ATI HD 5870 for a GTX 460. Will i be able to run this card as is, will it fit, would i need more power? Installing a new PS looks like it would be a real pain in this setup. I'll happily remove the overclock on the CPU if needed to run this card. Anyone help?

Thanks.

The 460 is slower and uses less power. I'd keep the 5870.

Thanks for that. I understand it's slower and i'm fine with that, there's a few reasons why i want to switch to Nvidia, mainly 3d application related. It's good to know it uses less power, hopefully i'll be ok then.

BTW, in that same site you can search for the post: Alienware Aurora PSU 525/875W? PSU tags says otherwise... and with the part number at hand, learn what type of PSU you have.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll go ahead and sell or trade this card then.

Back