• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft silently changes the # of product keys available to Technet subbers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft...ct-keys-available-to-technet-subscribers/7472

Microsoft said:
“Microsoft is committed to helping prevent software piracy, which often results in end users being the victims of software counterfeiters. Counterfeiters abuse product keys to create fake software packages and distribute these to the public. These packages are not licensed, do not have support, and can also include malware and spyware.

“Therefore, Microsoft has decided to limit the number of product keys available through TechNet Subscriptions, for all products, to five for TechNet Professional and two for TechNet Standard. TechNet Subscriptions is intended to support software trial and evaluation, versus a production environment. We offer other programs for volume purchasing and installation. We believe this change maintains a sufficient number of product keys for the majority of our customers based on usage data, while greatly reducing the overall risk of piracy and counterfeiting. We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this action may have caused our subscribers.”

In a nutshell, Technet Standard subscribers are allowed two product keys instead of ten for popularly pirated software such as Windows 7, Windows XP, Office 2010, etc. Technet Professional subscribers will see their product key allotment for those applications reduced to five instead of ten. Despite what their quote says, as of today anyway, many other programs available via Technet still allow for claiming up to ten product keys, or a single multiactivation key (for example, Windows Vista still provides ten keys for Standard subs).

Most likely Microsoft took this action to cut down on people ordering Technet subs strictly for the purposes of reselling/giving away the product keys to others. Can't really say I'm surprised, especially with blogs promoting the cheaper Technet Standard subscription in recent months.

wow, what a big **** you to people actually paying for software... glad I got mine at discount with a coupon then, still they are going to get a serious hate letter about this.

so far the only software they seemed to have raped with this is windows XP, windows 7 and office 2k7 and virtual server/pc

*edit* and office 2010 and misc office products.

Last edited:
I've never looked into technet, was the cost of technet significantly cheaper then 10 windows liscences?

I don't find it suprising if people were abusing stuff, I know they took away windows 7 codes for ACM MSDNAA after everyone and thier mom started signing up for ACM for the sole reason of getting windows 7

I've never looked into technet, was the cost of technet significantly cheaper then 10 windows liscences?

I don't find it suprising if people were abusing stuff, I know they took away windows 7 codes for ACM MSDNAA after everyone and thier mom started signing up for ACM for the sole reason of getting windows 7

technet was about 350 for 10 of each version, significantly cheaper. however it was illegal to sell the licenses, which is what people were doing which is why they did this

still ******** to those of us that use it legitimatly. Heck I just bought into it recently for needing all these.

In addition to people selling the keys one of the other problems recently has been the uptick in the number of people using the keys for home use, which is probably what benbaked was getting at when he mentioned the amount of publicity its been getting on blogs.

I know I've seen blogs or heck even posts on ocforums promoting using TechNet for home use.

By "home use" I mean taking a copy of Win7 dropping it on your "main" home computer and using it for typical daily tasks (gaming, web surfing, e-mail, writing code, photoshop, whatever).

Back