• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshhua5

Hello
I'll get straight into this, i have a computer :O the specs are
2x 2gb G.skill Ripjaw gaming edition DDR3
1x HIS 5770 HD Radion
1x Amd Athjlon II X4 630 @ 3.2
1x 500gb HDD
1x CD drive (old)
1X GA-MA785GT-UD3H
and my PSU
CoolMaster Extreme Power 460W
I use my IGP for a monitor and my videocard for the other
now I'm adding
3x 500gb (raid0 with my other for 2tb)
1x 1tb or 2tb hdd
2x 2gb G.skill Ripjaw gaming edition DDR3
1x Corsair H50 for more overclocking

Now my main quesiton is will i need to upgrade my psu...
i have 2 and i can use my other one to power all my hdd's if that works :/
if it doesn't what kind of PSU and cost are we talking?

Well, you should be ok with your PSU, but when you have a chance upgrade it.

As far as your H50 for further overclocking, its going to be better than stock, but not better than the best air... for best results on that thing, give it fresh air and push/pull (2 fan) setup.

Absolutely false that his system needs 650W....

He is no doubt pushing it with his current one, especially not being a top tier brand PSU, but still should be fine. That system overclocked with all the goodies wont put out more than 400W and thats with everything running full tilt (which it doesnt unless you stress test it).

I didnt assume I was right. I sat here and figured it out... I used that same calc and pulled 586W which is also incredibly high.

Do the math with me...

CPU: 95W stock, ~125W overclocked (less at his current overclock, 109 to be precise)
GPU: 108W stock, ~150W overclocked (if he overclocks it)
HDD's: 8W x5 = 40W max, maybe 60W at spinup.
Mobo + memory = ~50W.
Water + fans = ~30W

Total if both CPU and GPU overclocked and running EVERYTHING at 100% which is darn near impossible.... = 400W.

This better calc, with his current clocks gave me 386W since you dont want to beleive me (and understandably so).

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Like I said, he is cutting it close, but it should work and I would recommend getting a better more powerful PSU when he has a chance. Something like the corsair 550VX would be a perfect fit.

EDIT: One more thing, my system in sig which is nearly twice as powerful, only pulls about 400W AT THE SOCKET while gaming and about 510W~ WHile stressing both CPU and GPU at the same time.

Last edited:
you go earthdog!!!! listen joshhua5 EarthDog has been around here for a long time he has helped me out a lot in the past and i trust him and his advise!!!

Thanks for the support. If I wasnt sure, I would mention it. That doesnt mean I cant be wrong, but in this case, Im quite confident that what I posted is fact. :)

In fairness, most calculators tend to give incredibly high estimates on power usage. The reason that is done is so the company can protect themselves against, "i used the calc it said 400W and wasnt enough WTF?" b/c people buy poor quality PSUs as well as more headroom for most upgrades (which the 550VX will also do). I was born at night, just not last night. ;)

Last edited:
one thing to consider is that because a CPU has a certain TDP doesn't mean that it draws that much.
For instance, the Celeron E3300 Dual Core has a TDP of 65w but only draws 20w on full load.

Agreed...A solid 550w psu would be a good upgrade along with a decent air cooler. The Hyper 212+ cpu cooler in a push/pull config should get you to ~ 3.6GHz.

Back