• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over-clocking Troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matt0135

Hey,

This is my first time posting on these forums, I have some problems with overclocking my computer.

Here are the stats (note that I built the computer)

Asus P7H55-M PRO motherboard
i5 650 (dual-core 3.20Ghz stock speed)-using integrated graphics
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz dual channel (2x2Gb)
400W Cooler master PSU
DVD-RW drive.
Cooler master Hyper 101i CPU cooler (bought and installed the second fan on the other side of heat sink).

I tried over-clocking my system a few days ago, I lowered the multiplier to 12, and moved the Bus speed or Block frequency from 133-around 180mhz (in 10mhz increments of course, testing it with Prime95 and monitoring temps with RealTemp). After 180 the computer wouldn't boot, would say "overclocking has faled" press F1 to go back into BIOS. I upped the CPU voltage, and that seemed to allow me to get it to 200 x 12 which would be 2.4Ghz CPU speed. Which is no where near my stock speed of 3.20.

Why didnt I continue to raise Bus speed past 200mhz? Well for one I was unable to get my FSB:DRAM ratio down to 1:1 or 1:2, something good like that, it seems to be locked at 4:20 (7 7 7 20 clocks). I've searched the BIOS and cannot find any1where to alter the ratio.

On top of that, my CPU only uses 1.184 Volts at stock 3.20Ghz w/ max Prime95 Load, but when I was overclocking at 2.4Ghz, the CPU needed like 1.3+ V, which makes 0 sense to me how it requires less voltage to run slower.

My Goal for over-clocking is about 4Ghz, so its not that big of a jump, but these roadblocks seem to be in the way! These issues have stumped me for days, I have tried using the posted guide for overclocking i5,i7 CPU's but nothing in there was able to help me solve the problems I have now. If you need screenshots I would be happy to post.

Thanks in advance!

P.S I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section, since my topic is a bit everywhere.

-Matt

The DRAM ratio option is called DRAM Frequency in the Ai Tweaker menu. Asus offers 4 DRAM freq. options, each the result of multiplying the current BCLK by 6, 8, 10, and 12. The BIOS calculates the effective DRAM frequency for you, so for instance w/ a default BCLK of 133 the available options are DDR3-800 (2:6), 1066 (2:8), 1333 (2:10), and 1600 (2:12). So at a BCLK of 180, select either a DRAM frequency of DDR3-1080 (180 BCLK x 6 = DDR3-1080 / 540MHz), or the DDR3-1440 option (180 BCLK x 8) but w/ looser timings.

Back