• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice on a new rig(sorry . another one)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lookus

Registered
hi,

i am building a new gaming rig for a friend of mine. this is what i have shortlisted at the moment.

cpu - i7-930
mobo-asus p6x58d premium
ram - gskill PI 3x2gb@1600mhz
case-Thermaltake Armor+ Black VH6000BWS
psu- corsair ax850 gold
cooling - venomous-x with 2x sythe ultra kaze 2000rpm in push/pull
gpu- gigabyte gtx460 1gb
hard drive- barracuda 1tb
+ a few noctua nfp-12 case fans
os- windows 7 64 bit

i am a bit unsure about the venomous-x. i am also considering the noctua nhd-14. i want the quieter one as they both seem to be good. which of these setups above will be quieter? i know if i go with the noctua i will have to go for different ram, something not as high. i am thinking then the g-skill ripjaws. i may have to put this question in the cooling thread but if anybody has any ideas here please advise.

i will definately be overclocking and i hope to get at least 3.6ghz and would like to reach 4.0ghz. will i be able to do it with 1600 mhz ram or do i need 2000mhz?

please let me know what you think and if there are any better suggestions please let me know. your time and comments are much appreciated.

I would go with the noctua personally but I'm not sure which one would be quieter though. Any of the G.Skill RAM 1600 kits will easily get you to 4.0 GHz too. Like you said get the lower profile ones so you are sure to clear the cooler fan. I run a cas9 G.Skill kit and it works fine for me but maybe you would want some cas8 stuff.

Back