• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to fess up about Northwood Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I just lit off my 1.8 Northwood last night and was very unpleasantly suprised at the seemingly high temps it runs at when under heavy load.

I originally settled at 125Mhz/2250Mhz (1.65 V). With SETI@ home running CPU temps consistently hovered just below 130 degrees F. Although the machine seemed stable at first, over the course of the day I noticed a tendency towards sudden crashes. This instability was also apparent when running Ghost from DOS (I regularly clone my HDD to a removable drive).

I backed off to 120Mhz/2160Mhz (1.575 V). The slightly elevated voltage proved to be needed at even this relatively modest overclock. With this combination the CPU sits at 125 Degrees F under load and about 110 Degrees F at idle.

I have a Lian-Li Al case with good balanced draft air flow. I am using the Intel HSF with Artic Silver. Intake temperature at the HSF fan is about 83 Degrees F.

There have been a lot of postings about the Northwoods but I have seen very few concerning CPU temperatures. I would be very interested in seeing what temperatures others are experiencing.

Also, has anyone compared the performance of the Intel HSF with other units? I did attempt to purchase a "better" cooler but was told by the owner of a trusted outlet not to waste my money as little would be gained over the Intel unit (It does have a massive heat sink).

Get more airflow, get a betterheatsink. All I have to say, those Northwood's heat blaze up and there are alot of issues showing people with temperatures of 45-50, which is too high IMHO.

Yodums

I hear you I just don't want to spend the money on the swiftech.
The others I have seen don't look much better than the intel even with a delta fan.
Of course the tests were done on a 1.5 p4.

I have good air flow my amd xp overclocked to 1730mhz with 1.95v hit 45c under load.

Last edited:
Placid said:
I hear you I just don't want to spend the money on the swiftech.
The others I have seen don't look much better than the intel even with a delta fan.
Of course the tests were done on a 1.5 p4.

I have good air flow my amd xp overclocked to 1730mhz with 1.95v hit 45c under load.

How about the AVC Sunflower then?

If you know of a place selling them let me know, I can't find any for sale.
The review say's cooling gears but they don't list it.

You might wanna try SilverSinkSam he posted in cooling and hes getting a waterblock and may sell his AVC Sunflower under a discount. He claims he is the 'worst' trader so maybe you can strike a deal! haha

Yodums

Just got my 1.6a setup over the weekend and at the moment, it's running at 138x16 = 2208Mhz @ 1.8V around 51C. It's definitely on the high side and I'm actively looking for better air cooling solution. What's up w/ the fact that NONE of the better HSF makers is doing ANYTHING for P4? GlobalWin, Alpha & Kanie ya listenin?

[email protected]

I'm running a 2.0a at 2.2ghz, 1.5v and it seems pretty stable. temp hovers around 26C no load and 33-38 with a full load. using Cooler Master ATC-210/enermax 350w dual fan.

Clocked at 2.3ghz, I would get the occational bsod no matter what voltage setting, and temp would climb to over 40C. Finally went back to 2.2, 1.55v. After several hours of play, got one bsod. Set V back to 1.5 and I haven't had a crash or bsod yet after days of hard play.

[email protected], 1.5V (with retail intel cpu fan)
Asus P4T-E
512mb Samsung rdram

Hey guys. Well i just got my 1.8A together yesterday and since then ive been on the road to getting to 133FSB. After getting the beta bios and being able to up the voltage on my th7-ii board Im finally at 133. My voltage is 1.65 and i seem to be at around 50-52c's when on load. I have a sunflower on the way so that should help me out alot. Just gotta run some test see how she holds up. Overall though im lovin this 1.8A @ 2.4!

GlobalWin makes a socket 478 cooler, but it's not really worth buying. Lots of the other coolers on the market don't cool significantly better than the Intel retail unit, with only a few exceptions. Putting a higher speed fan on that Intel heatsink ought to help, IF you can find a good replacement fan.

There was a really good cooler review on the homepage here at overclockers.com which showed the Swiftech MXC 478 as being by far the best (and most expensive too). A good second place cooler that is lots cheaper is the AVC Sunflower. One member claimed the Sunflower sucked, but I've seen several favorable reviews about it and have heard several members brag about it.

I'm using the Swifty MXC on my 2.0a Northy (installed with AS-II). After lots of problems (mostly operating system trouble), I'm finally running at a stable 2.4 gig @ 1.7v (I have reached 2.5 gig, but didn't measure temps at that speed). I have yet to see CPU full load temps above 42 degrees. However, the high RPM 80mm Delta fan that come with the Swifty is a tad noisy. The Northwoods using the Intel cooler can easily hit 50+ degrees at default speeds in some situations.

NOTE: for those trying to convert temps, 120 F is equal to about 50 C.

I've seen no stability issues. My 1.6A is at 2350, and the temp reads 49C all day. I'll try to dredge up some linkage, but I've heard of several people with SiS 645-based boards having trouble getting accurate temperature readings out of them. I know MSI's boards are hardly known to function, and it may be the case with Epox and AOpen boards, too.....I plan on getting a real thermistor and check them myself; I don't believe the CPU's temp to be nearly as high as 49C....

theflyingrat said:
I've seen no stability issues. My 1.6A is at 2350, and the temp reads 49C all day. I'll try to dredge up some linkage, but I've heard of several people with SiS 645-based boards having trouble getting accurate temperature readings out of them. I know MSI's boards are hardly known to function, and it may be the case with Epox and AOpen boards, too.....I plan on getting a real thermistor and check them myself; I don't believe the CPU's temp to be nearly as high as 49C....

Get the newest version of mbm. I had an old version and saw the same thing. The new version, I believe, works w/ SIS 645 thermostat...

mbm.livewiredev.com

That's nothing, my temp says my motherboard is 66C and my temp is 90C!

What the hell is going on with this thermostat? I am at 140FSB stable as hell (ran CPUBurn all night) but I'm afraid to do even that without an accurate CPU reading! I love the chip and it exceeds my expectations but I really would like to know the temp!

:rolleyes:

stefanb said:
That's nothing, my temp says my motherboard is 66C and my temp is 90C!

What the hell is going on with this thermostat? I am at 140FSB stable as hell (ran CPUBurn all night) but I'm afraid to do even that without an accurate CPU reading! I love the chip and it exceeds my expectations but I really would like to know the temp!

:rolleyes:

Get a probe and that'll keep you calm, I'd hate to be behind the computer all the time getting ready for my computer to burst or something.

I was waiting for Monday (just got my stuff Friday) to call Abit and ask them WTF is going on, how the Bios says I have a 66C case and a 33C CPU, but I'm sure there is no answer for it, as nobody so far has any clue as to why it would do these things.

I will either have to send it back (don't wanna!) or get a probe.

What is a good probe to use with the P4, there's no room between the processor and the HSF, where would it go?

Hey if you can handle the noise get the 478 with a delta ho 80cfm fan WARNING ITS LOUD

very loud,but you will get a good result
also,lapping might gain a 1C or two also

Just a thought, but has anyone considered removing the IHS from a northwood? It helps a bit for Tueys.

Back to topic....just go watercooling. Northies at 2GHz+ are into Athlon territory as far as heat goes. Water is better than air at these heat levels and much quieter.

Back