• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions on WC and My system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thobel

So to start my system is up and running (a little late to research) I'm wondering if my system is performing good/ok/bad.. And looking for some opinions on where I could improve

Current Specs

CPU: I7 980X @4405 H2O
MOBO: ASUS Rampage III
RAM:Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600 7-8-7-20 1t
Video: GTX480 TriSli @900/1800/2200 H2O
Case: Corsair 800D
PSU: SilversTONE 1500 1500W
SSD: 3x Intel X25M 160 G2 Raid 0
LCD: Dell 30" 3007
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium DVD: LG 8x BR
KB & Mouse: Logitech G19/Mouse: Logitech G9x
P47361 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2512887No PPU
P54013 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2505718With PPU

Current Temps

Ambient Temp around 19c (damn cold)
CPU Idle 27-23-24-25-25-24 LinX 30 min 58-59-55-53-60-59
GPU Idle 31-31-31 Kombuster 2560x1600 Dx11 8x MSAA FS 48-50-46

Pics of the setup

pc012.jpg

Assorted057.jpg

Assorted056.jpg

Assorted053.jpg

Assorted052.jpg

Assorted050.jpg

Assorted058.jpg

So everyone understand the system has a 120.3 on Top 120.1 out the back 120.1 At the bottom

i dont have the most knowledge but i believe you could trade the 120 on the back for a 360, also is the 2 loops or 1 if was 2 seperate loops with the 360 in place of the 120 on the back you mafair out better....
someone else will chime in tho...

i dont have the most knowledge but i believe you could trade the 120 on the back for a 360, also is the 2 loops or 1 if was 2 seperate loops with the 360 in place of the 120 on the back you mafair out better....
someone else will chime in tho...

Its a single loop. I had it as 2 loops but one of the pumps failed and scared the crap out of me I woke up to alarms and beeps. So I switched it to dual pump single loop for redundency

I spy with my little eye, COMPANION 5 SPEAKERS! I've got the companion 3's myself...love em

as for your loop, temps are about where to be expected. There's a lot more you can do with that case in terms of radding it up, a 120.2 will fit in the bottom if you cut it up and I've been dying to see someone mount a 120.3 vertically next to the hdd cages and cut/radgrill the side...sorta like mounting in a tj07's bottom, but turned 90deg. Anyways, my mind wandered.

For an absolute worst case scenario (just to see how it'll do), try this. Run 11 threads (5 if you have ht off...basically one less than your number of logical cores) of prime on small fft's and then run the heaven benchmark. Let the loop temps equalize, see where it is. Your cpu might get a bit toasty, but the gfx should be happy.

I spy with my little eye, COMPANION 5 SPEAKERS! I've got the companion 3's myself...love em

as for your loop, temps are about where to be expected. There's a lot more you can do with that case in terms of radding it up, a 120.2 will fit in the bottom if you cut it up and I've been dying to see someone mount a 120.3 vertically next to the hdd cages and cut/radgrill the side...sorta like mounting in a tj07's bottom, but turned 90deg. Anyways, my mind wandered.

For an absolute worst case scenario (just to see how it'll do), try this. Run 11 threads (5 if you have ht off...basically one less than your number of logical cores) of prime on small fft's and then run the heaven benchmark. Let the loop temps equalize, see where it is. Your cpu might get a bit toasty, but the gfx should be happy.

lol I have the companion 3's connected to my bedroom media center :) Downloading heaven now.

I have nothing important to add to this thread. Just wanted to point out that my bank called to tell me that 3 checks bounced when I read the parts list. :thup:

BTW how do you like the Roccaforte desk?

Idle temps.

Run Prime 95 small ffts. Get it up and running for a few minutes.

Then load Unengine heaven benchmark and loop it, 4x.

Let it run for 30 minutes.

Use Harware Monitor (HWMonitor) to see temps, it's accurate.

Then post back.

I'll say it again. Idle means nothing..................

Do the above to see real stress on your system. Yu haven't said what the system purpose is, gaming, folding etc. Looks more E-peen gaming than saving the human race.

I'll say your short (LOL) on raddage.

Bose. hehe. They got the best marketing.

Idk, they make some good products, admittedly, they charge a premium for them, but for compact speakers for my dorm...unparalleled imo...maybe I bought the hype though

Idle temps.

Run Prime 95 small ffts. Get it up and running for a few minutes.

Then load Unengine heaven benchmark and loop it, 4x.

Let it run for 30 minutes.

Use Harware Monitor (HWMonitor) to see temps, it's accurate.

Then post back.

I'll say it again. Idle means nothing..................

Do the above to see real stress on your system. Yu haven't said what the system purpose is, gaming, folding etc. Looks more E-peen gaming than saving the human race.

I'll say your short (LOL) on raddage.

ok Max CPU temps following the test outlined above 76c on the CPU and 56 on the GPU's

never ran video and cpu benches at the same time thats the highest i have seen my temps ever but they seem well within acceptable limits to me. Would you say they are expected for the setup? avereage? Bad?

and bose may be alot of marketing but they do sound damn good if you ask me

76C is about right with that high overclock. I'm sorry to say if you run it like I would like you to you'll see some bad CPU temps once the 480's are loaded at the same time.

I'll just guess you'll see high 80s when you run concurrent load tests.

Still, synthetic load tests are more than most users see, unless you are a crucher for cancer etc.

76C is about right with that high overclock. I'm sorry to say if you run it like I would like you to you'll see some bad CPU temps once the 480's are loaded at the same time.

I'll just guess you'll see high 80s when you run concurrent load tests.

Still, synthetic load tests are more than most users see, unless you are a crucher for cancer etc.

I ran with Prime 95 11 threads and Heaven bench @2560x1600 dx11 is that what you mean by concurrent tests? Or is their another test? ps I'm running my 480's @ 1.138v 900/1800/2000

my room tmep is around 19-20c btw (damn AC freezes my butt)

ive had the bose comp 5s and some altecs but now have logitech z5500s..
oh boy wouldnt trade theese for notta..had em almost 3 yrs now and sound as good as when brand new, and i pound the crap out of em...
on the other note i really believe if you trade out one of your smaller rads for a bigger one youll be better...at least according to the cooling configurator...

ive had the bose comp 5s and some altecs but now have logitech z5500s..
oh boy wouldnt trade theese for notta..had em almost 3 yrs now and sound as good as when brand new, and i pound the crap out of em...
on the other note i really believe if you trade out one of your smaller rads for a bigger one youll be better...at least according to the cooling configurator...

I would but no room without modding. I learning towards a mountain mods or Danger Den giant case upgrade with an extreme water cooling makeover. something along the lines of 120.20 or so I'm going to sleep on it ands if I still feel crazy then I'll begin the ordering :)

You're gonna spend a killing on rads...just be aware. Price it ALL out before you order anything...those gtx 480's sure would be happy with 120.12 between them though :D

@The z5500's, friend of mine has em, quality is great, but i just don't have room for 5.1 in a dorm. The bose serve me perfectly for my current situation. There's also the fact that every other set of z5500's will die if you use the power switch on the sub AT ALL...they do let you keep the speakers though, just gotta rma the control pod...but this is OT

You're gonna spend a killing on rads...just be aware. Price it ALL out before you order anything...those gtx 480's sure would be happy with 120.12 between them though :D

@the z5500's, friend of mine has em, quality is great, but i just don't have room for 5.1 in a dorm. The bose serve me perfectly for my current situation. There's also the fact that every other set of z5500's will die if you use the power switch on the sub AT ALL...they do let you keep the speakers though, just gotta rma the control pod...but this is OT

I figure case, rads, new pumps and blocks etc will be around 2500-3000.

I was thinking blackice gtx .. need 2 480 and 3 360's i think
http://www.dangerden.com/store/dd-double-wide-tower-21-black-series-edition.html#tabs

Looks like 1 480 in front 1 360 Front 1 480 in Back 2 360's in bottoms?

Last edited:
I ran with Prime 95 11 threads and Heaven bench @2560x1600 dx11 is that what you mean by concurrent tests? Or is their another test? ps I'm running my 480's @ 1.138v 900/1800/2000

my room tmep is around 19-20c btw (damn AC freezes my butt)

Load up Prime 95, make sure it's working then load up Heaven at the same time.

Use HW monitor to monitor your temps, do a fast alt tab to get temps after 30 min of both running.

19-20C. Wow!

@the z5500's, friend of mine has em, quality is great, but i just don't have room for 5.1 in a dorm. The bose serve me perfectly for my current situation. There's also the fact that every other set of z5500's will die if you use the power switch on the sub AT ALL...they do let you keep the speakers though, just gotta rma the control pod...but this is OT

Load up Prime 95, make sure it's working then load up Heaven at the same time.

Use HW monitor to monitor your temps, do a fast alt tab to get temps after 30 min of both running.

19-20C. Wow!

Thats what I did max was 77c on cpu and i think 59on gpu's that was with 11 thread on Prime 95 with small FFT's and Heaven running @ 2560x2600 dx 11 full screen

Last edited:
Okay, cool. Your fine on the GPU's, CPU is a bit warm. Synthetic test. My thoughts.

Your a bit high on the CPU, GPUs are fine. Still nothing to worry about.

You must have good fannage on the rads and case. Or a really cold room.

Good to go I think.

And thats 30 min? Love to see a graph/screenshots of it all. No worries, your stuff.

Put a couple pics in our build log pic thread. Can't let the good pics go to waste. Just PC innards will be fine.

Back