• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time WC setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panden

Hello,

A few weeks ago I made a simple post clarifying heat displacement and thought I was close to placing my first order but, with the advice of m0r7if3r, I got lost in several work logs. Since then I've driven myself mildly crazy thinking of different setups in my head and on paper and I think I've finally come up with something will meet my objectives and leave room for future tinkering/expansion.

I'm planning on running a dual loop setup with the objective of maintaing a 5c DT (or pretty close to that) and silence. The components that will be under water are an i7-930 and a GTX480. The case that I will be using is a Mountain Mods U2-UFO.

Shopping List:
-CPU
Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme Performance CPU waterblock
Thermochill PA120.3
Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir for one Laing D5

Loop Flow: Res --> Pump --> Rad --> CPU --> Res

-GPU
EK GeForce 480 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel
EK GeForce 480 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling RAM Backplate - Nickel
Thermochill PA120.3
Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir for one Laing D5

Loop Flow: Res --> Pump --> Rad --> GPU --> Res

-The Rest
Scythe KM03-BK KAZE MASTER PRO 5.25in. 6-Channel Fan Controller, Black
Petra'sTech PT Nuke Concentrated Biocide (10mL)
Silver KillCoil
Scythe GentleTyphoon 120mm Silent Case Fan, 57 CFM, 1850 RPM
Feser Tube Active UV Hose, 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Anti-Kink Tubing (UV Caribbean Blue)
Bitspower Compression Fittings

I've attached a few Paint mock ups of how I envision the loops/case to look like.

Layout1.jpg
Layout2.jpg

I'd appreciate any feedback positive or constructive.

Thanks ;)

Very nice, looks like you've given this some real thought :thup:

You'll actually probably end up closer to a dT of 3-4 though...just off the top of my head.

One thing I do notice is you went with dual d5's, if you go with dual ddc's, you can put them in a single dual bay rest. If you've got the space and are going for that look (which based on the stuff you've laid out I'd say you are) then just stick with the d5's, but be aware that there is another option available there that takes up half the space.

XT's a good block...not the best anymore, but certainly the best block/mounting system combo...shouldn't be an issue with flow in a loop on it's own and you can get that thing real on the cheap these days.

EK blocks are really good...you may wanna get some cotton gloves to handle it though because between the acrylic and the nickel it's gonna be a fingerprint magnet (A georgeous, georgeous, fingerprint magnet)...same on that xt, but less noticeably so.

Oh, and I love the caribbean blue tubing...divvi's build looked incredible with them....think I got everything. Great job!

Oh, and I love the caribbean blue tubing...divvi's build looked incredible with them....

Divvi's build is actually the reason why I choose that tubing and even inspired me to theme the build as well. My theme is going to be based off of a manga/anime called One Piece.

I'm going to have the case coated white, single sleeve the cabling in an alternating caribbean blue and white setup. I've also found someone who will custom make some fan grills based off of the individual gang jolly rogers in the series. I've even planned to go as far as putting a figurine of one of the characters, Nami, inside the case. She'll be resting on the exposed portion of the MB bracket (just like the Vault-Tec Bobblehead in Shazza's build, another inspiration).

Back