• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Paste for Mobo and GPU blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gwiggles

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what thermal paste will be best with all the FETs and other mobo-y stuff? Can I use normal thermal paste on all those?

Thanks

*Edit* Arctic Silver Ceramique?

Last edited:
the same that you would use on the large chips, with the possible problem of any multiple components being all offset in height. which you can check for.
like an array of fets might not be assembled all the same height.
if they originally used that thermal foam junk, then check the depression in the thermal foam and see if its is all similar in height. if it isnt you could be stuck using thermal foam all over again, or at least using a compound that will cope with some distance between the mating.

generally yes, you can use the stuff you think works best with other silicon compoents the same way as the main components. with the above caveat in mind.

^^^you could use different thickness thermal pads.

generally speaking, high end thermal paste is the best...the conventional stuff, not indigo xtreme or any of that, mx-2, icd7, as5, etc.

I've only used Arctic Silver Ceramique on all my Cpu/Gpu & Fets. Never had any problems. Unlike the Silver based stuff that is capacitive. Ceramique is non-capacitive and safer. Works great too ;)

Awesome, thank you very much! Just ordered a 4g stick of some Ceramique, We'll see how it works out when it gets here.

on a side note, do GPU blocks usually come with thermal pads I can substitue in if there is too large a gap on a FET or something like this?

From what I remember, no. I never had the Tpads come with the full cover blocks for the video cards when I bought them. I usually reuse the ones that come off the stock coolers. Unsure if the new full cover blocks come with Tpads now.

Most (if not all) now come with thermal pads and even have some pre-cut.

I used MX-2 on the VRM's for GTX480 testing... but as long as the TIM is electrically non-conductive and non-capacitive, you'll be fine. Just make sure you are getting good contact from the block to the VRM's as not all blocks are capable of running TIM on the VRM's.

Indigo Extreme will net you a decent amount of C cooler than other TIMS. Shin Estsu 7783-X23 is also very good.

ive always used as3/5 on everything. ppl are always afraid it will cause stuff to short, but it wont. I smear it all over stuff, never a problem. Arctic silver thermal adhesive (not the as ceramique adhesive) is great for bridging a small gap between the block and fets or whatever. downside is its permanent....but does offer great thermal transfer over a gap.

Having said that I just bought a bunch of MX-3 after reading skinneees test article. I like the idea of no curing phase, and using more the better. AS5 has always been picky about how it applied.

Back