• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X2 555, x2 560, or x4 955

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yanko693

Which of the above would be best to OC. all are in price range but obviously cheaper is better. I will probally upgrade next year so it doesn't need to be too top of the line.
-thanks

Are the first two black edition CPUs? The BEs are easier to overclock. In the end, in the hands of an experienced overclocker all of those you list will probably overclock about the same, if if if . . . you have top of the line cooling. The quad core will put out more heat so you need to have good cooling if you want to get about the same clock out of it as the two dualies. The other question is, do you expect to unlock cores with the dualies?

Their all Black Editions. I was planning on getting an aftermarket cooler. Sorry I don't know anything about core unlocking. (OC noob here) I obviously have a lot of homework to do still.

Don't skimp on the cooler. If money is a limiting factor, give preference to an excellent cooler, especially if you will be upgrading the CPU in the near future. A good cooler will carry its investment over into the upgrade. And I would say the same for a case. Get a roomy (at least 8" wide to accommodate tall tower cpu coolers) with lots of places for fans. Invest in a good PSU as well. Those are foundational purchases that will not only affect your overclock now but in the future.

Get the 955 and try to get 4ghz out of it. You wont need to upgrade that CPU in a year. If you do plan on upgrading in a year I would a) Hold off and just upgrade then OR b) get a x6 as they have gone down in price. I don't see how you are concerned about money if you plan to upgrade in a year...

Moneys a limit because I'm spending more on case, PSU, coolers and the more future proof. I already have an antec 1200.

I might add this is a first build, not an upgrade.
Also I am open to any CPU cooler suggestions.

Moneys a limit because I'm spending more on case, PSU, coolers and the more future proof. I already have an antec 1200.

Out of those three, get the 555 since you said you are on a budget and plan to upgrade in a year. Then try to unlock the two disable cores, it is not guaranteed tho.

I see that you are in OH? There are 3 Microcenters there...
For HSF the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a great deal for $23:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397

If you get the 555 or 965 from there too, you can get a free motherboard:
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

What will the system be mainly used for? Gaming/Encoding/Editing/etc?? If gaming, what games??

It will be used for light gaming and mostly movies and music. In the future I would like to get more into games.

It will be used for light gaming and mostly movies and music. In the future I would like to get more into games.

Well I guess it depends how much you wanna spend, $90 or $140. If you are on a budget then get the 555. Then gamble with trying to unlock the disabled two cores. And since its the Black Edition it will be easier to overclock for beginners. Try to get close to 4ghz.

Or save up a little bit to get the 955 with guaranteed 4 cores, and be done with it like someone already said above, you should be good for a couple years.

Any modern CPU will handle movies & music. More than half of current games prefer the higher clock speed of a dual core, not many will utilize all 4 cores as of right now.

Well I repeated what was already said, lol. :D

Would 4ghz on the quad be a realistic goal on air cooling? ( aftermarket HS obviously) I think a big draw for me is not just higher speed but just pushing the limits of what it's supposed to handle.

It's not an unrealistic goal but don't set your heart on it. Most find that 3.8 is about the limit. Occasionally people are getting 4.0 but those are probably ones who happened to get "cherries" that for whatever reason were just a little better made from the fab plant than the average bear X4 955 CPU. Count on 3-7-3.8 with the best air cooling and a quality motherboard and quality memory and a quality PSU. People forget that the motherboard, CPU, memory and PSU work together as a unit. If one of those components is not quality and doesn't have good steady voltage regulation or produces a lot of electrical "noise" then overclocking results will be less than what they could be.

Last edited:
Back