• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 gigs vs 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monstergamin

Registered
I am currently getting ready to make a few more upgrades, I am currently planning on setting up a SATA3 RAID stripe,and adding a new video card. I am already using 4 gigs of DDR3 1600 . My question is am I going to even notice a difference if I add 4 more gigs. I do a lot work with ADOBE Flash/PS/After Effects, and game a bit, will doubling my ram, speed my apps up

Do you exceed 4gb of RAM? If no, then don't bother. I run 8gb because I can fill that much RAM, depending on what I'm doing; plus, it was cheap.

I am using 2 -2 gig sticks so I have room for more but I just wonder if the $100 I pay for more ram , would be better used by adding it to the video card fund ,and just step up to a 5870

You can download a free sidebar gadget that will show you how much ram is being used. Set it to always on top for a while and you can watch it while your adobe program(s) are running to give you an idea. If you max out you memory during these times then I would recommend the extra memory. Since the wife is already pissed you should go ahead and get a new vid card to :rofl: or 2

Back