• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UEFI being pushed for next OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like its time to find a good app that can control hardware aspects (voltage, timings, etc) all from the OS and is as good as changing them from the BIOS. Do I REALLY want to learn how to hardware program that bad???

I have my doubts. The core question is if Microsoft intends to scrap BIOS support? Windows 7 and vista already support uefi it sounds like.

I wonder how true these reports are about Microsoft's intentions... It is coming to the end of the year and people like to talk about things coming to an end and being reborn around this season.

From 2007:

The companies say that this time, UEFI is really happening -- Panasonic, Samsung and Sony have already licenced the Phoenix SecureCore technology for implementation in their PCs.
Phoenix said UEFI was supported by Microsoft in both Longhorn Server and Windows Vista, and indeed this seems to be supported by a white paper that was quietly released by Microsoft in December last year detailing requirements for UEFI compatibility with Windows.

Source: http://apcmag.com/intel_shows_pc_booting_windows_with_uefi_firmware.htm

And then there's the original story on the BBC, which implies that a better BIOS will reduce the time it takes to load an OS to seconds. But wait, there are splashtop distros that quick boot in seconds already - the portion of startup time BIOS is responsible for is only seconds to begin with. The majority of time is spent grabbing files from the SSD or even longer if they are pulling from an HDD.

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11430069

EDIT: Note that the BBC article says nothing about microsoft's intentions, but the daily tech and other articles added that in. Where are they getting their information?

Last edited:
Everyone is on board for the transition.
http://www.uefi.org/about/

I'm reading a couple articles on it now. So far it doesn't seem like we are going to loose much, and gain boats more.

I'm also going to ask Bingo over at XS if he has any experience with it.

Its been around for a while though, and people keep saying its coming from what I've heard. I'd start to believe that if Microsoft is going to drop BIOS support in their next OS and require UEFI... But otherwise, I think this could be just some writers blowing smoke up our butts. Almost certainly UEFI adoption will pick up and take over eventually, but saying its coming next year sounds fairly ambitious given the past precedent of the technology.

Look at this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Operating_systems

This has been kicking around for a solid decade. I just have a hard time believing we are upon the eve of its mass adoption, without something more solid than claims of uncited "reports from microsoft".

I'm also going to ask Bingo over at XS if he has any experience with it.
That's the answer I'm most interested in. Like IMOG said, it's been around for quite a while. If an inside BIOS person says it, then I'll believe it (and it would be worthy of a news story...ask him if he can be quoted if he confirms anything; would be something good for us to tell the world!).

The problem is getting a hold of the man. Love talking to him when I get the chance. But his work and personal life is so busy :-/

I probably wont hear back from him until he confirms the new board he is sending me.

:chair:

Just read through this article: http://www.uefi.org/learning_center/A_Tale_of_Two_Standards.pdf

So to me, the UEFI is just a firmware API that needs to be implimented to house future technology. Most likely, it will make the lives of BIOS coders easier.

Also there were several articles that I linked months ago. It seems like companies have been working on the development for quite some time.

They also kept OCers in mind

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260776-29-uefi-bios

EDIT:

Pretty much everything I've read today, can be summed up by this picture.

Attachments

• boldly stated.bmp
    1.9 MB · Views: 398
Last edited:
I don't see how UEFI will change our lives as overclockers at all, except that we get to click on stuff instead of using the keyboard arrow keys.
It's just another way to do the same thing a bios does right now. The difference is that it's in C or some such instead of assembler.

I don't see how UEFI will change our lives as overclockers at all, except that we get to click on stuff instead of using the keyboard arrow keys.
It's just another way to do the same thing a bios does right now. The difference is that it's in C or some such instead of assembler.

idk about you guys, but I'm way faster with keyboard commands than I am with mouse manipulation...heck, I code with keyboard shortcuts in VI or VIM and my hand won't leave the keyboard for the whole time I'm coding...maybe I'm crazy though.

btw, the UEFI API allows plugins.

I smell custom built UEFI support in the future :D

It'll still be by-board as far as overclocking goes, it's not like the bioses now have to put OC stuff in there.

Plus like sno said, people've been OCing since before there were even jumpers for settings. Desolder the refernce crystal and slap a new one in, add one voltmod and you're ready to rumble.

Or, i bet TiN could make a VR based PLL on a stick with a cable you solder to the mobo PLL pads.
Really though, what the manufacturer HWBot support and well-locked intel CPUs prove is that we're too big to ignore entirely.

So how does M$ get a light bulb changed? They don't. They simply declare darkness the industry standard. :bang head.

I love how the writers talk about how horrible bios are, yet they can be one of the most useful items for trouble shooting and changing settings. :shrug:

Actually the BIOS has been needing an update for a long time, no one has been out there to push them.

Hate M$ for all its worth, but they company does things for the good of the growth of technology. If the industry didn't push this sort of stuff down consumer and OEM throats, we would still have ancient hardware being designed not performing what we need.

Back