• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 875k help getting over 200 bclk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markp1989

im following this* guide, currently i cant get my bclk over 190mhz

* http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-lynnfield/

I have attached a spread sheet with what i have tried so far, looking for some pointers.

hardware:

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000
EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-875K
Super Tallent 64gb SSD
Corsair tx650
Nvidia 8800GT
Nvidia 8800GTS

so far the only settings i have changed are:
cpu multi (set to lowest possible right now, 9)
mem multi (set to lowest possible right now, 6)
vtt voltage (so far i have only been as high as 1.250)
and the bclk

this is my first oc attempt with an i7, was previously using a 4ghz e8400 sysytem, with a p45 motherboard.

i have the cpu, and both gpus under water, with a 480 black ice rad (cant remember model right now, it is in my sig)

cpu block is a dtek fusion V2 , i couldnt use the back plate that came with the 755 mount for the block , so i had to use another back plate, with longer screws as the back of the cpu socket made using the dtek one imposible.

thanks for any pointers you can give me, Mark

Attachments

• i7-875k_oc_log.xls
    10.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
First gives us all your voltages for the CPU, VTT and what ever else you can give us. Whats your QPI running at? And lastly, you have an unlocked CPU multiplier, why would you need a really high base clock? What are you trying to accomplish with a 200 bclk? Make sure the power and turbo boost features are off as well as spread spectrum. What memory are you using?

thanks for reply, Memory is listed in the OP :

Right now my voltage is set like this: (for 190bclk)

vcore: 1.18125v
DIMM: 1.60v
CPU VTT: 1.150v
PCH: 1.050v (auto setting)
CPU PPL: 1.800v (auto setting)

What are pch and ppl? i couldnt find them in the guide, whats the max i can go with them?

and my clocks/multis are set like this:
CPU Multiplier: 9
Memory Multi: 2:6
CPU Frequency setting: 190
CPIE Frequency Setting: 100
QpI Frequency selection: Auto (options are auto, 4.270 GT/s and 4.800 GT/s)
MCH Strap: Auto (options are auto, DRAM ratio, 800Mhz,1067Mhz,1333Mhz,1600Mhz, 1867Mhz)

Ideally i want to get a high bclk so I can run the memory at its rated speed (200bclk*10=2000mhz on the memory)

thanks, Mark

Last edited:
My memory is 2300mhz and I only have to go to 188 base clock. You've got this all wrong. Memory speed isn't related to the CPU multiplier. Only to the Base Clock and the memory ratio. Do you want to overclock your CPU to what?
CPU PPL you want at about 1.8 but take off auto. CPU Vtt for me at 200 is at 1.35 so that probably is your problem. Make the memory at 1.65 and use manual timings and set those to the factory specs. 200x10= CPU running at 2ghz. You want the CPU at 20x200= 4ghz. What cooler are you using?

Vtt volts look pretty low for 200Bclk. I believe even in MIAH's guide that it shows to set at 1.3v to start then work your way down...If you have HTT enabled, you may need a bit more than that also. Put it up to 1.35 and see what happens. Also try a different multiplier like 11x on the CPU maybe the multi is borked that high?

Vtt volts look pretty low for 200Bclk. I believe even in MIAH's guide that it shows to set at 1.3v to start then work your way down...If you have HTT enabled, you may need a bit more than that also. Put it up to 1.35 and see what happens. Also try a different multiplier like 11x on the CPU maybe the multi is borked that high?

Thanks for the reply:

I have tried the vtt up to 1.35v, and i cannot even post at 195 bclk, which seems strange to me as its only taking 1.150v to get to 190 :S

I have tried running the cpu multi at 11 aswell, still cannot post at 200 blck

so far i have only been using prime for 1hour at a time for each 10mhz step in bclk, tonight its going to be ran over night to make sure its 100% stable at 190bclk with 1.150vtt

I have tried (at 190bclk 1.150v on the vtt ) to up the memory multi to 8, running my memory at 1520mhz,i was able to pass memtest, and prime for 1hour, this is with vdimm at 1.65

Last edited:
My memory is 2300mhz and I only have to go to 188 base clock. You've got this all wrong. Memory speed isn't related to the CPU multiplier. Only to the Base Clock and the memory ratio. Do you want to overclock your CPU to what?
CPU PPL you want at about 1.8 but take off auto. CPU Vtt for me at 200 is at 1.35 so that probably is your problem. Make the memory at 1.65 and use manual timings and set those to the factory specs. 200x10= CPU running at 2ghz. You want the CPU at 20x200= 4ghz. What cooler are you using?

I think he was talking about a 10x mem multiplier. I don't know if the mem multipliers are board or chip specific but with my 750 and 655k on my EVGA board I only have a max of a 10x mem multiplier.

and to the OP, try smaller bclk steps like 3 or 5. I ran into holes in the bclk on my board, 192 would fail instantly but 193 was fine and I could boot at 200 but every test would fail instantly but I can bench at 205-206 which seems to be my max base clock for this board (at least with my 750)

Make sure the MCH Strap is set to 1600MHz, and not Auto or any frequency lower than that. You can also try 1867MHz, which sets looser internal timings, but 1600MHz is preferred. Also change PCIE Frequency to 104, and QPI Frequency to 4.270 GT/s.

Make sure the MCH Strap is set to 1600MHz, and not Auto or any frequency lower than that. You can also try 1867MHz, which sets looser internal timings, but 1600MHz is preferred. Also change PCIE Frequency to 104, and QPI Frequency to 4.270 GT/s.

Thanks!!! :)

Just tried the 3 things you sugested (MCH AT 1600 right now), and 200bclk posted first time, currently priming with 1.3vtt , but i hope to lower that later.

Will keep you lot updated with my progress, and other pointers you all have will be appricated :)

EDIT: 600th post

Thanks, Mark

edit: prime 1hour passed, along with a memtest , im now priming at 200bclk with 1.225vtt when i have seen how low i can get the vtt, and still pass 1hour, i will let it run for 12-16 hours to check the bclk is 100% stable, then i will start upping the mem and cpu multipliers

edit: woo 600th post!! :attn: :rock:

Last edited:
hit a bit of a problem, i have tried upping the multi, but i cannot go above the stock multi (22), i can type it in the bios, but the change doesnt stick according to cpuz .

got a pretty old bios on this motherboard (date 9/9/9) according to cpuz, so im gona update the bios later and see if its any help.

pretty nervous as its my first time updating a bios on a motherboard

acording to evga site, the new bios lets you customize the turbo multi, which might help later on.

Last edited:

A little bit of an offshot question here. Why would one raise the PCI Freq to 104? I was under the impression that it was always best just to leave it at 100? What does raising it do to help stabilize a CPU OC?

The new BIOS should help. I never tried my 655k (unlocked dual core) on an older BIOS but it was tricky figuring out how to get the multi's to stick. On mine you need speedstep, and turob enabled then you get an option of what turbo multi's you want. Since the stock multi is 24 if I want say a 28 multi I need to set the turbo up to 4.

I don't remember what all the setting are called but if you get stuck I can chenk in my BIOS (also and EVGA board) and try and help out.

A little bit of an offshot question here. Why would one raise the PCI Freq to 104? I was under the impression that it was always best just to leave it at 100? What does raising it do to help stabilize a CPU OC?

Some people have found through trial & error that slightly higher PCIe frequencies have allowed higher BCLK speeds.

Traditionally it was always preached to lock PCIe freq to 100, but that was before modern mobos. Now PCIe freq is typically locked to 100 even if auto is set. Setting it manually to 100 is just a troubleshooting step to make sure something isn't being done incorrectly by the board (bug).

PCIe of 120MHz or more is likely to lead to HDD corruption if you use Sata HDDs. I've run it up to 115MHz during benchmarking w/o any ill effects.

Sorry for the really late update, Thanks for all the pointers,

with uni and everything i haven't had time to optimise the OC, I took today to reset everything to defaults and start my oc again, Im currently stability testing at 200bclk with the cpu multi at 15, is at vtt at 1.275v , i will post how it goes some time this evening , or early tomorrow morning :)

edit: just passed ibt 100 passes at 200bclk with vtt at 1.275 with the cpu multi at 9, will update later :)

Last edited:
so I have followed the guide in linked in the op to the letter, my bclk wall is about 214mhz, right now i have the bclk at 200mhz ,at 1.275vtt (might be able to lower the vtt as 210mhz was stable at the same voltage)

I would use 210mhz, but my ram doesnt oc very well, I have it running at 2000mhz (Stock speeds) at 1.7vdimm , i tried up to 1.9v . but couldn't get the memory stable at anything over 2000mhz, so i have stuck with 200mhz*10=2000mhz for the ram, might give looser timings ago later to see if i can get the ram up to 2100mhz

I'm currently running the cpu at 4ghz @ 1.37v (200*20) i tried to go 200*21=4.2ghz , but it wouldnt be stable even with 1.45v core, and i dont really think its worth pushing the vcore any higher for a 200mhz increase, Does any one have any tips for getting 4.2ghz (or more) with out having to use stupid voltages?

Last edited:
Back