• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best uprade from a HD 4890

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Williamc141

Registered
I have 250-300 dollars and was wondering if there was anything I could buy for that price that would beat a HD 4890.

GTX 470 or you can save up a little bit more and wait till the new gpu offerings, since the 4890 is still an excellent card.

Eh thats a little pricey, What about the 460's? Do they compare to a HD 4890? I might save for that Gigabyte card but I want to see if there is anything out there that has the same performance for a lesser price, Also needs to fit inside a Coolermaster Storm Scout case.

Last edited:
From a 4890, a GTX 460 won't give you that much more performance. If you go for a GTX 470 you would definitely feel it. I don't think spending over $200 for a new card that will give you little bit more performance is worth it. With a 470 like I showed you, you would feel more of a difference. Down the road when you want to maybe SLI, the 470's will definitely be a lot more future proof then a pair of gtx 460's. There are cheaper GTX 470's like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133341. Now what makes the Gigabyte better is that is uses much less power and overclocks farther with better cooling but the price on this card is unbeatable. Might wanna grab two if you can.

My budget is 250-300 not 700 :). Is the Gigabyte version worth the 50 more dollars over the EVGA GTX 470 superclocked?

Last edited:
Not worth that 50$ in this case :) ... I would go for this PNY that is reference but will oc almost the same as gigabyte ( or you are planning to use sub 0 cooling ;) ), evga is reference too only nice superclocked label.
... ah and I sold my bro HD4890 to buy GTX470 :)

Why not just crossfire the 4890 you have now and save some cash. That should last you until nvidia comes out with their new line and go from there? I mean the 4890 is still a decent card.

My PSU doesnt support crossfire :((( If I could crossfire I would but the price would be over if I bought a PSU and another 4890.

Well I saved up enough money, Gonna go with the Gigabyte card, Seems like its the coolest and best preforming out of them all.

Got the Gigabyte GTX 470 about 1 week ago, Has very nice cooling and the packaging was pretty crazy. Overall the card runs around 51-52 celcius on the stock fan speed, Idle's around 35 celcius. Overall great card.

How high can you overclock it? Or are you just fine on how it is? Well right now the 6870 looks to be the hottest card right now. It's in between a 5850 and a 5870 but only $240.

I havent overclocked it yet, Havent felt the need. Is there any other overclocking program I can use other than OC Guru, OC guru makes certain games crash for unknown reasons.

Back