• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Dominator DDR2 8GB Latency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

too

I have 4x2 sticks of Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz on a MOBO Asus P5Q with a 1000w PSU.
This is the model of the memories: CMD4GX2M2A1066C5
This is the MOBO: (asus site can´t find it´s own product!) other site. The mobo supports memory with 1200Mhz on DDR2.
The problem is that I can´t get the memories run less them 5-6-6-18-3-52-6-3 on 1066Mhz. If I change any of those the system won´t post.
The best I could get was these timings with manual settings on:
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.24
DRAM Voltage: 2.10
NB Voltage: 1.12
SB Voltage: 1.10

Talking to corsair assistance through the site, I received this answer:
Please update the BIOS to the latest and use the followings:
DDR voltage: 2.1v
Memory Frequency: DDR2 1066
tCL: 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 15
If the problem remains, then please try setting the memory frequency to DDR2 800 or even DDR2 667. There will be a lot more stresses on the memory controller on the system when all
memory slots are filled; to compensate for these stresses, memory controller will need to run these modules at a slower speed. The best analogy is car performance; the more
passengers you have, the slower the car goes. You will have to balance between performance and capacity when comes to adding more RAM to the system.

I can´t get them running at these timings they said.
How far can I go with all this ram on my mobo and how can I do it?

Thanks!!!!

You likely need more NB voltage to run 4 sticks like that... Try setting it to 1.2 and see if that works with its rated timings and votlages. Also I would put those sub timings on AUTO and just worry about the major 4.

I´ll try that to see if it boots and run some memtest86 to check.
Is it possible to fry the chipset with that?
Thanks!!!

ED wouldn't have suggested a vMCH of 1.2V if he thought it was going to "fry the chipset". Intel's max. voltage spec. for the 82P45 chipset is 1.21V, but like he mentioned, running 8GB of RAM w/ all 4 DIMM slots populated will probably require more chipset voltage.

Actually I´ve tried even 1.25v with 2.2v on the modules (crazy I know), but no luck! Is it possible that I have corsair memories or the asus board that can´t go over with 8GB? I didn´t know that was such an issue about how many modules you use to run OC, I just touth it was about the frequency.
I tried with 1002Mhz, 1066Mhz, 1111Mhz, 4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-15, 4-5-5-15, it´s on 891Mhz 5-5-5-18-CR2 right now. Is this or 800mhz on auto or 1066Mhz at 5-6-6-18 with those settings, anything else just wont boot here. At those speeds no difference noticeable.
I´m loosing it here, can´t I get it faster?

Thanks!

What CPU do you have, and what's the current FSB? Change the timings to 5-6-6-18 w/ Command Rate set to 2T at 2.1V, and all sub-timings except tRFC at 54-55 set to Auto. Also change Ai Transaction Booster from Auto to Manual, then change the Performance Level (tRD) to 10.

Sorry, I forgot to put the signature.

This is my configuration: CPU: Intel C2Q Q9550 - MoBo: Asus P5Q (rev 1.0) - Memory: Corsair Dominator 8 GB (4x2 GB) DDRII 1066 MHz: GPU: ZOTAC 9800 GTX+ 512 MB DDR3 - HDD: MAXTOR SATA2 2x320GB - Mouse: A4TECH X7 X-705F - Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media 3000 - PSU: Thermaltake 1000w - Monitor: Samsung XL2370

Currently is 891Mhz, 5-5-5-18 2T everything else on auto, CPU is 2.839Mhz, Multiplier: 8.5, FSB: 334Mhz. Also CPU Core: 1.26v.

I got BSOD yesterday running at these last settings :-(
Back to auto.

Remove the two modules from the 2nd and 4th DIMM slots, so that only slots 1 and 3 are populated in a dual-channel config. Then use the same settings as posted above; 5-5-5-18-2T at 2.1V w/ PL (tRC) set to 8, and tRFC set to 54. And instead of attempting to boot directly into Windows w/ those settings, run Memtest86+ to check for stability. And without knowing the exact error in the BSOD, or which OS you're running, it just makes it harder for us to try and diagnose your issue.

The problem is really as it seams to the amount of memory that the chipset needs to handle. I´ve used just the yellow slots 1 and 3 and they worked great.
Now how can I set this up to be the fastest it can with all 8GB of ram?

Back