• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$250.00 - What card should I buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Personal choice. That one would be fine. XFX is highly recommended due to their outstanding warranty.

Last edited:
I'd get a gtx 460 1gb, or maybe a used gtx 470. If you could get a reference 5850 go for it. I wouldnt buy a non ref 5850.

Or just wait see what the 6770's are like...

Wait to see what 6770's are like, they come out in a week. If anything it should solidify the prices of the 5x series.

At 250$ you are looking at a 5850.

1080P depending on what games you play can require up to two 5870 for optimal framerates (45+ FPS)

You could get a GTX 460 and overclock it to practically 5850 speeds with ease. I have two and they are the most awesome cards. They don't use very much power, they run coooool, and they overclock like a dream! My reference GTX 460 786mb EVGAs overclocked from 675Mhz core to 925mhz core and 1800Mhz memory to 2200 memory. They are watercooled ;) never go above 35 though while overclocked. People achieve these clocks and higher on stock cooling though. Lots of examples in this thread @xsystems - GTX 460 Overclocking Thread
*I emphasize the ease I overclocked the 460s. I literally just slid the core and memory sliders up in MSI afterburner. no voltage adjusts needed either*

I changed from two 5870s to these 460s and its been great. Every game ran perfectly with the 5870s and every game still runs perfectly with the overclocked 460s and I ended up saving a ton of money. Sorry for such a long response, just trying to give another (and great) option.

*Edit* Pretty much totally agreeing with Rattle, except for the 470 part :b Didn't realize I was in the AMD forum :/ oh well.

Last edited:
Too close to new cards to buy anything IMHO. Price drops should make waiting worth it.

Back