• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power on, then off, than on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theivan

Okay when i press the power button on my PC.. everything powers on really fast.. then turns off.. and 3 seconds later it powers back on.
:confused:

My gigabyte mb does that, and it was referred to as a cold boot issue and was a known bug.

Has it always done that?

Otherwise it could be a failed overclock auto recover thing. I have a mb that does that as well.

yup same PC as the Sig. and WINxp Pro and its always done that.

its not something that bothers me to much.. but since i came home from work in a bad mood.. and went to power up my PC and it did that.. it made me mad for some reason. so was just wondering if it can be fixed

Yea my asus has done that a few times on me but not all the time. Usually yes after a cold boot. (my computer is always on though so I may not notice that as much)

Yeah its always after a cold boot. i turn my PC off when i leave the house and at night. Like i said most of the time it doesn't bother me, but this time i was about to push it off my desk.

It's a known problem with a ton of boards, I've never found a solid fix, but I mean, I don't think it harms the computer in any way.

My eVGA P55 did that for almost a year before they released a BIOS update (A51) to give the option to turn it off: "ClockGen Switch Mode Disable Option to not power up twice"

Apparently they say it can help achieve higher overclocks. Not sure if this is the same issue or not though.

Clockgen Switch Mode can only be disabled if the BCLK is < 200, but because the EVGA P55 boards use dual CPU and PCIe clock generators, the option is automatically greyed out and set to Enabled when the BCLK is > 200. During the dual-boot/double-POST scenario the clock generators are effectively synchronizing/calibrating themselves, which results in a more accurate/stable final CPU clock. The MSI and Gigabyte boards may also be performing the same or similar function.

I've heard virtualization can do this as well, at least that is the excuse EVGA game me a long time ago when X58 first came out.

Mine only does anything like that when there's been a power outage.
Then when I turn it on after the power came back.
(Anytime the PSU stops receiving AC power.)

Or when I exit the BIOS after changing a frequency setting.

Do you have any powered USB devices plugged in? (ipod, zune, webcam, etc)

I've found that if I have those devices connected I have this issue at boot, if they're disconnected at boot, no issue.

Nope. just a printer and its never on.

Do you have any powered USB devices plugged in? (ipod, zune, webcam, etc)

I've found that if I have those devices connected I have this issue at boot, if they're disconnected at boot, no issue.

Ahhh, maybe it's that "plug 'n' play os" setting that is on a lot of boards?

Back