• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first wc build, help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eux

Registered
Hey everyone, this will be my first ever wc build and I really need some help from the pros to make sure I do everything right! :D I've been studying a lot
the past 2 days to make sure I pick out high end parts which are all compatible, please tell me what you think.

case - corsair 800d
rads - 120.3 thermochill pa, 120.2 thermochill pa
res - xspc 5.25 bay res
cpu block - koolance 360
mb block - koolance mb block asus crosshair III
gpu blocks - koolance radeon 5970
pump - swiftech mcp655
fans - scythe gentletyphoon
tubing - feser tube uv light blue 1/2 id 3/4 od

I also had a few questions pertaining to this build. I was gonna use bitspower compression fittings. I've seen a bunch of people suggesting to get extenders and angled compression fittings, will I need these for my build? Also is my res large enough? I could go with the dual bay res if needed. If there is anything else I'm missing or need to make this build easier, please let me know! thanks a lot.

Last edited:
First, Welcome to OCF.
Second, Have u read sticky yet, Have u went to -- Skinneelabs.com u will see that koolance 360 is not the top notch of cpu block.
Your tubing doesnt fit the MCP655 which use 1/2 ID 3/4OD.
You have a lot more to learn...

First, Welcome to OCF.
Second, Have u read sticky yet, Have u went to -- Skinneelabs.com u will see that koolance 360 is not the top notch of cpu block.
Your tubing doesnt fit the MCP655 which use 1/2 ID 3/4OD.
You have a lot more to learn...

Yeah, definitely haha. What block would you recommend? I did read the review and it said it was a top block. I'll pick out some new tubing now and edit, thanks for the reply!

Rock the Koolance 360... it is still top 5 and there is not much separation amongst the top 5.

Thats the great advantage we have now... choices and performance right along with it.

Do you guys think my pump will be able to run through a single loop of pump -> rad -> cpu -> mobo -> rad-> gpu 1 -> gpu 2 -> res? or should I go with a double loop? If I can use a single loop it really doesn't matter where I place my rads in the loop right? Thanks again for the responses!

In many instances picking high end parts means buying the wrong stuff.

Waiting for the OP to say the Koolance rads can cool 100,000 watts per the marketing.

Looks like he didn't fall for that. Good research OP.

OP: Nice to know what CPU your cooling, your ambient temps, your planned overclocks and IF you are going to add another GPU in xfire.
Make a sig............

And WHY do you need to cool your Mobo chips?

Because it's there?

Lastly, good pump choice.... but what do you know about head pressure, block restriction that can kill the req 1-1.5 GPM flow rates, thus maybe making your CPU block ineffective? And ScytheGT fans. Err which ones?

Basically, and yea, I'm known as harsh..... I see lots and lots of holes in your big two day research.

Can you slow down? For a week or two? Read lots more, ask some informed questions?

If you can't wait, buy it now and we'll solve all your emergencies and issues...........

I also had a few questions pertaining to this build. I was gonna use bitspower compression fittings. I've seen a bunch of people suggesting to get extenders and angled compression fittings, will I need these for my build?

Maybe, what CPU block you got? Probably. More money... No worry your using compressions, lots of money already. I been at this for a few years. I use barbs. Compresions look nice, when someone peeks into the case, and ONLY then.

Also is my res large enough?

Res size doesn't matter. A VERY basic thing in watercooling. Thought you did your research.

I could go with the dual bay res if needed. If there is anything else I'm missing or need to make this build easier, please let me know! thanks a lot.

Sorry for the newb questions! I'm not going to order anything until I'm absolutely sure about everything. The CPU is a AMD 1090t. It is a possibility I will add another gpu down the line but I'm really not sure yet. I do not plan on doing any serious overclocks. I don't know much about over clocking, however if I do build this system I do feel kind of inclined to at least learn some things. Ambient temp is around 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit. About the mb block, after you mentioned block restriction it does seem kinda pointless for me to have it. Do you think I should just do a 3 block loop? I'm definitely leaning towards that now, especially since I would like to keep this a single loop build for simplicity. I guess I'm just gonna buy a few extra rotary compression fittings and some extenders because I really don't know what I'm gonna use where, whatever makes it easiest. Heres the fans I plan on getting as well, http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scge120mmsic2.html
Thanks yet again!

I know but my points was its not the king but OP points was to get ''I pick out high end parts''
Which means the king of block :D aka Number 1!

It still is a high end part... XT, Supreme HF, CPU-360 and Kryos are the top end.

We're debating over semantics, and personal meaning of the words used. Fact of the matter is, those I listed off are the cream of the crop.

performance:kryos
flow: 360
balance of performance and flow: Supreme HF
value buy: XT

that's how I rank them within the top performance category...XT is becoming less relevant though with the HF dropping in price.

Back