• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help, unlocking cores phenom ii x2 555be on asrock mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danport

Please help, unlocking cores phenom ii x2 555be on asrock mb

My new build:
asrock 870 extreme3 MB
amd phenom ii x2 555 be
4 gb (2x2) g.skills ripjaw ram 1600
hyper 212+ aftermarket cooler
Radeon HD 5770
Fata1ity 550w psu
asus dvd burner
samsung 1tb hard drive

After putting the parts together it booted up and loaded win7x64 with nary a problem.
I was hoping to unlock the other 2 cores.
The mother board has turbo ucc which tries to unlock them automatically with one button (x) on startup, but when i activate ucc the computer will not boot, freezes with a blank screen and i have to clear the cmos to boot.
I have tried bumping up the cpu voltage slightly, but that has not helped.
I assume this means at least one of the other cores are bad, but would like to try unlocking to a triple core.

In the bios there is the Asrock UCC. If I enable it the computer will not boot. Black screen, does not get to the video card.
There is also a CPU Active Core Control.
It has 2 options, enable and disable.
If I enable CPU Active Core Control, It only shows 2 cores, Core 0, Core 1.
It does not show the other 2 cores or give me the option of enabling the other 2 cores.
It does not have the option "All cores".
I can not find how to individually enable Core 2 and Core 3 to test the individual cores or possibly unlock to a 3 core cpu.
Here is a link to the manual:

http://download.asrock.com/manual/870 Extreme3.pdf

on page 42 it describes the cpu Active Core Control, and says the default value is "all cores". I only have options of enable/disable as i mentioned above.
my bios is ver 1.6, which appears to be the latest.

I downloaded and flashed the bios, ver 1.6, from the asrock web site.
No change in the options, I still do not have an option for "all cores"
I can not find anything about Advanced Clock Calibration in the Bios or the manual.
any help appreciated.
Thanks again

I assume this means at least one of the other cores are bad . . .

It is probably the case. I think are seeing fewer and fewer of these CPUs being turned out by AMD that have valid cores capable of being unlocked. That could be for marketing reasons or it could reflect improvements in the fabrication process.

I have pretty much the same setup as you, and when i press button (x) at start up , "4" in my case it shuts down flips the switch and reboots as quad core. Perhaps your cores are just to unstable to even boot :(
also if i hit "3" at start up it will turn off and unlock to 3core, maybe your mother board has something along those lines?

Last edited:
i thought not all the 555's were originally quads with locked cores, wasnt it only some of them like this and the rest just quads with 2 defect cores that dont function?

Back