• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shim for XP=good or bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
So, I got a Thermaltake shim for an XP for free, and I was wondering whether I should use it.

These are my questions:
1) The shim only protects the CPU during HSF mounting, right? So as long you can mount the HSF without chipping the core it doesn't matter...or is the core easliy craked even once the HSF is mounted?

2) Does the shim actually raise CPU temps? Since it is metal and covers the CPU packaging, does it retain heat and affect temperatures? Or is this effect negligible?

Thanks!

IMHO, shims are not nessasary at all unless you have little confidence in yourself about mounting a heatsink. no, there cores are not easily chipped, especially after the heatsink is properly installed

i agree. stay away from the shims. they will raise the temps, and so far i haven't been able to chipp my xp1600 using a waterblock,

I agree with the above posts with one additional comment.

If you do decide to use a shim, make sure that you get one specifically designed for the XP processor. The bridge location on the original T-BIRD and the XP is different, risking a possible short. In addition, from my own casual observation as well as reported by others, the XP's core does not project above the packaging as much as on the original T-BIRD, this leaves the potential for an inadequate interface between the HSF and the core.

As far as I'm concerned, these two reasons are enough for me to make sure that I use due diligence when mounting the HSF and forego the use of a shim.

My .02

Good Luck!

Shims are bad. Period. They prevent you from getting good contact with the core and HS. It's a weakness of the Flipchip design, there's no easy shortcuts around preventing a chipped core.

What we need is for AMD to use an IHS like Intel has implemented on the P4 and Tualatin CPU's.

SB

All agreed with the above. If you have problems mounting your heatsink and you tend to slam your heatsink down then there's no hope.

Yodums

I have only busted one AMD core... my duron 750 after I had another 1.2g chip fail on me. The MB was in the case and I was ****ed so I rushed the install.

If you are a newb and afraid make sure you install the HS while the motherboard is out of the case! Most MBs have the socket very close to the PSU.its just safer to mount it outside of the case

My $.02

took my shim out after reading this.i guess i learn as i go sometimes. plus i have h20 so if i start slamming things in there im gonna need alot more than a cpu! temp is down 1c tho

Back