• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9400 unstable "blend test"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt768

Registered
So I have my q9400 and 750i ftw at 3.6 with the following.

vcore 1.387
fsb 1.45
ram 1.9
nb 1.50
sb 1.45

I have Corsair Dominator 1066 2x2 running at

800 with 5-5-5-15 with 1.9v

I ran Prime95 smallFFT for only about 1 and a half hours without any errors, max temp is around 64 degrees.

The problem is when I run the blend test it fails after about 2 minutes. I need some help to get this fully stable. Should I relax timings or something?

Thanks

An error on blend but not on small usually means something is up with your ram. go to the manufacturers website and make sure all the voltages speeds and timings are stock.

@Loomy I put my RAM at stock settings which would be
2.1v
5-5-5-15 2t

with these settings it doesn't even pass 1 min in Prime95 on small.

@redduc900 I already have the pencil mod done which helps a lot. Those settings you gave me did not work either.

You guys think I have bad memory?

It's not just RAM that can fail the Blend or Large-FFT test (both tests start w/ the 1024k fft size). It can also be the FSB. The FSB and RAM are interdependent. The nForce boards allow you to use any RAM speed w/ any FSB speed by unlinking them. But this also means that some very strange dividers have to be used, and some of them just don't work.

Can you try linking the RAM, and put it into 1:1?

If memtest or Large-fft/Blend fails at stock FSB, and RAM at stock settings then your RAM might be bad.

I manually set my ram to 900 which is 1:1 because if I link it and set divider to 1:1 it sets my ram to 1400. Prime95 failed after about 1 min on blend so I set my ram to 1.9v from 2.1 and it lasted a few more min. but failed as well.

I guess I will set everything to stock and stress test to check it it's my ram.

Is bad ram the only other option?

Something is not right there. 1:1 and 1400 RAM means your FSB is at 700. Can you take a picture, or list the settings in more detail so we can see what you're talking about?

:screwy:

Well that looks weird.

Does it boot up like that? If so, what does CPU-Z show on the memory tab?

450FSB (1800MHz) is a bit high. Try 400FSB w/ RAM at 800 and see if you can pass blend. Then you can work your way back up.

No it doesn't boot, which is why I unlinked it and set it to 900 which CPUz shows as 1:1. I'll try 400 fsb.

Been running Prime95 blend for 31 min now at 400 fsb with ram at 800 and so far so good. I'll keep it running.

Ran it for 2hrs and 10 min and then stopped it.

Last edited:
Go up 10MHz at a time and make sure to keep the RAM 1:1 manually like you're doing.

If you can get it to the point to where it fails blend w/n 2-5mins or so you can start experimenting w/ all the settings to see if anything will let it run longer. Then continue to try higher FSB speeds, and repeat.

Ok. Is there supposed to be more vdroop while running "blend" rather then "small"? With the pencil mod there is about .01 more vdroop in blend than there is in small.

Never noticed, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you're not using a multimeter then a .01v software reading is well w/n the margin of error.

As soon as I get up to 1630 mhz (started at 1600, 3.2) and ram at 815 it wont even post. Runs fine at 1620 and 810. This is with 1.3625v 1.45 fsb 1.9 ram 1.45 nb and 1.30 sb.

Tried it, still wont post past 405 (3.24), and now it won't even post with the settings in my first post that passed small but not blend. Is there something wrong now?

Last edited:
So I have it stable at 3.6 with the following.

vcore 1.41875
fsb 1.45
ram 1.9
nb 1.5
spp 1.3

ram is running 5-5-5-15 @ 900

temps are upper 40's

I don't run my pc 24/7 (no where close to that) but I don't really want my vcore that high. With the pencil mod it drops to 1.408 in cpuz. Should i mess with gtlrefs to lower it or should I just leave it?

So I switched over to IntelBurnTest which seems to stress much better (temps about 10c higher) and now I can't pass 1 min on it at 3.6 so I upped my vcore and still nothing. I have been up to 1.45 vcore and it won't even pass 1 min. Im guessing it's something with the ram making it unstable or something? It's still at 1:1 with 1.9v.

Back