• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI to rebrand too?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wait, are they actually planning re-brands, or are they just changing the naming scheme to be more AMD-like.

They are doing the same thing that Nvidia did. Taking card A and naming it something different to match their next gen cards' naming scheme. So I guess both?

Doesn't look like that to me, the 6870, while it matches the 5770 in core count, has more memory bandwidth and a bunch higher performance.

They are doing the same thing that Nvidia did. Taking card A and naming it something different to match their next gen cards' naming scheme. So I guess both?

Every Nvidia fanboy in his heart wishes that will be true :p

It will not,6xxx series suppose to arrive with new features like 3D blueray support and new decoder.5xxx series cards simply don't have those features which are and will be major selling points for ATi cards in HTPC space.I doubt ATi will leave holes in their lineup ,especially since how easy it is to scale down ATI's architecture.

That article has zero merit and was written only to get hits.

Second that. Whoever made that table stuck single-GPU cards in x9xx names. Last time I checked, only dual-GPU cards get x9xx names.

I dunno, the burblings from the usual rumor sources have been saying the not-quite-top-end 6-series stuff launching real soon are going to be called 6850/6870, with the higher end cards coming a bit later. If true, doesn't that mean they'll need to break into 69XX numbers for the 5850/5870 replacements?

I dunno, the burblings from the usual rumor sources have been saying the not-quite-top-end 6-series stuff launching real soon are going to be called 6850/6870, with the higher end cards coming a bit later. If true, doesn't that mean they'll need to break into 69XX numbers for the 5850/5870 replacements?

Where would the 59xx replacements go then?

That is exactly what i was wondering.

My thoughts:
6xxx series are 40nm, improved core design on 5xxx, but no extra cores. 6970 is a 5870 with upgraded cores, 6990 is a 5970 with upgraded cores.
Come 28nm time, those same high efficiency cores are doubled in number (guesswork, but that seems to be the plan these days) and the naming moves on to 7xxx, with the usual 7870 being the top single gpu (possibly 7890 later ala 4890).
I can't see how they could fit the 28nm stuff into 6xxx.

EDIT:
Given that the 28nm core has already been largely developed and mostly what ATI/AMD is waiting on is TSMC's 28nm process to be worth using (40nm type issues do not give good press), i think 6xxx will be a very brief operation.
Alternatively, 6xxx could stay a while as the replacement for x7xx, and the high end stuff will all be 28nm on 7xxx names.

Where would the 59xx replacements go then?

Got me. I'm starting to wonder what's up with the 6 series launch in general. We aren't even sure yet if the first cards will be 6750/6770 or 6850/6870. Usually this close to a launch, at least the model names are known due to an etailer 'mistakenly' listing a card early..

/rant

Did I miss the memo to the technology manufactures that said "Please confuse the ever living #()$*@ out of your customers as quickly as possible"?!?

/end rant

/rant

Did I miss the memo to the technology manufactures that said "Please confuse the ever living #()$*@ out of your customers as quickly as possible"?!?

/end rant

No. The article provides no shred of evidence that it is anything but (malicious?) speculation.

There is that, too.

This has been the highest security launch that i can remember. With the exception of the GT300 cards. Admittedly that was less high security and more embarrassing to everybody but dell and company.

I am very curious as to what is actually coming out.

No. The article provides no shred of evidence that it is anything but (malicious?) speculation.
What specifically would you be looking for to have this or anything like it be true?

Now..Im not saying it is or isnt true myself, but Im just curious what in articles you would hang your hat on to make sure its true? You obviously sway far to the not believe it side, but what makes you think that from the articles? :shrug:

A couple articles I have seen posted here mention the naming being off compared to this gen (like 6870 being a midrange card is what Im talking about), so that jives for now.....

Every Nvidia fanboy in his heart wishes that will be true
And every ATI guy wishes otherwise... haha! :)

That "chinese" card looks like a 4870 to me, there is one almost exactly like it in the classifieds.
To be more specific, a non-reference 4870.

I say no way, that doesn't look any realer to me then the "fermi" held together with wood screws.
Since when do reference designs have anything but DVI?
The PCI bracket has the normal 5xxx opening for exhaust, but this card doesn't exhaust there.
The cooler is a XFX non-reference cooler.
It has an ATI sticker on the fan, too.

Back