• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reliable and cool 1TB drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

Looking for at least a 1TB hdd that is fast, reliable, quiet and cool.
I re-did my whole PC and acquired a 64gb WD ssd. I became obsessed with the quietness and am currently running an ultra quiet PC with noctua and minimal fans. My 320gb ST332062AS Seagate runs at 43 degrees celsius no problem. My 250gb Western Digital on the other hand however goes up to 65 degrees and shuts down. I dont know what the seagate has that the WD doesnt but i need that in a 1TB hdd which will replace them both and work behind my 64gb WD SSD nicely.

I've been running 1tb Hitachi drives for well over a year now without an issue. They stay cool with minimal airflow. I'm not sure on individual drive performance since they have been in a RAID array their entire life.

The Black series is also fine. I run them in the same server. With the same airflow, they run 1-2 degrees warmer.

I've been running 1tb Hitachi drives for well over a year now without an issue. They stay cool with minimal airflow. I'm not sure on individual drive performance since they have been in a RAID array their entire life.

The Black series is also fine. I run them in the same server. With the same airflow, they run 1-2 degrees warmer.

ya and really.... it depends on where they place the temp sensor i think... i have a 1tb hitachi and a 1tb wd blue and they feel on the outisde pretty much the same... but the WD reads a good 5*c higher.

Regardless.... WD or hitachi... although i did just have a hitachi fail on me.... but theres no way id touch seagate.

Back