• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is wrong with Asus?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

James147258

Hi..

What is exactly wrong with Asus and their Rampage III extreme mobo
lots of people say it is too expensive (But im not worried about the price)
and some people say they can get their bios to post and when they contact Asus costomer support they get crap service and also when they send their mobo back to Asus they get sent a refurbished mobo

So what is happening with these Rampage III extreme motherboards

When i say (Im not worried about the price) i mean i can get the R3E for the same price as the P6X58D and the UD3R

Is it still worth it??

:burn:

It's just another motherboard.. I've had no problems with mine. I keep all my receipts just in case.

90% of all computer problems are between the keyboard and the chair. Asus' support does suck ***, but I don't blame them if something goes wrong.

do you think it would be a safe option to buy the mobo from the states
would it still be under warranty in my local (South Africa)?????

While many perceived mobo problems are really user problems not actual defective hardware, Asus always rushes products to market to be the first with the newest toys. As a result their mobos often have technical issues. IMO Asus customers are always unpaid beta testers for rushed to market products with issues. Asus supplies review sites with selected mobos and BIOS that a typical consumer is unlikely to obtain. These review sites respond in kind with superlative reviews even when experiencing product operational issues.

By many accounts Asus provides zero customer support. If you have problems you might as well throw their mobo in the trash and buy another brand. If you have a warranty issue you typically will get a used/repaired mobo, not a new one. The replacement mobo is often worse than the defective one you returned. You will typically wait weeks for the new mobo to arrive. Asus will rarely answer your tech support e-mail with anything resembling the English language. This information comes from actual Asus customer experiences.

YMMV

Last edited:
I've used all the major mobo brands and in my experience the Gigabyte mobos have been 100% reliable for me, offer excellent design and a smart BIOS.

YMMV but I have no problem with recommending Gigabyte mobos based on many years of usage with numerous Gigabyte model mobos.

I'd suggest eVGA's classified series if you're looking for something that performs like R3E.. Asus has surely degraded in quality over the years. Not saying I'm hating my R3E but if something were to happen with my current R3E I'd be looking into replacing it with one of eVGA's Classified mobo.. They got good customer service, great quality, and great warranties (where it's covered [you might want to double check your location though]).

yea sure thanks dude

Does the classified:
O.C as well as the R3E?
Its about the same price hey???
Higher quality (wont break fast???)
Have SATAIII and USB 3.0??
ATX form factor???
Is it good for Extreme memory profiles???

I plan to get the i7 930 to 5.0GHz on air!!:attn:

yea sure thanks dude

Does the classified:
O.C as well as the R3E?
Its about the same price hey???
Higher quality (wont break fast???)
Have SATAIII and USB 3.0??
ATX form factor???
Is it good for Extreme memory profiles???

I plan to get the i7 930 to 5.0GHz on air!!:attn:

They are pretty much the same type of mobo (e-ATX)
They perform pretty much the same if not better.
I trust eVGA's products on quality.
Yes the mobo has sata3 and usb3.0

If you're planning on OCing your cpu to 5ghz on air you're really also looking for a really really good cpu cooling and case. Though I really can't see it possible hitting 5ghz without it getting really high in temp on air.

ill post pic's if i do it or get close ok???
well my case is killer cm692 advanced high speed fans and a stock intel cpu cooler

got my core 2 duo e8600 to (3.5GHz like 0.2GHz) increase form stock but cpu runs at 27 degrees C under full load so ive got it all down all fans(7) push (even the rear exaust fan) towards a 200mm mega flow fan in the front (exaust fan)

Well if you do get it stable at 5ghz, it'd be cool to see some screenshots of the voltages and temperatures running at full load on air. It'll be impressive. :thup:

yes it will be awsome

should be march next year (Funds!!!!!) can only affor the mobo + Psu + some ram

Do you think th corsiar hx850 is good for a classified i7 930 and 2 GTX460's

yes it will be awsome

should be march next year (Funds!!!!!) can only affor the mobo + Psu + some ram

Do you think th corsiar hx850 is good for a classified i7 930 and 2 GTX460's

Hmm.. If you really do plan on OCing the i7-930 to 5ghz.. I'm pretty sure the power draw on the CPU itself will go up exponentially. So I'm sure it'll be roughly 250W just from the CPU (stock is around 130W).. Under load it'd go up to around 220W for stock and who knows much higher for the 5ghz OC clock (i7-930 @ 4.3ghz draws about 400W under load). 2 GTX460s SLI will be drawing around 320W so you're going to be using up 550W at stock speeds cpu and gpu. OCing factor imo i would go straight for the HX1000W as I tend to like to add stuff to it in future so I can be future proof with adding stuff in. But 850 should be enough.

im running 2 470's on an xfx 850w which is essentially the same psu as the hx850(seasonic oem), so yes it can handle 2 460's easily.

i doubt 5.0GHz on air is possible, unless your pc is in a freezer. i'm gonna say the absolute max on air~4.2GHz if youre lucky enough to get a good chip and really know what youre doing. i can get to 4.0GHz on my 930 but i get the best results for temps and stability at 3.8GHz, i think the ram is holding it back. i have heard of 5.0GHz on a 980x under water but that will cost way more than it is worth for gaming.

Last edited:
I've had weird issues with gigabyte boards.
Classifieds won't boot if you don't have enough negative 12v from your PSU, but they don't tell you that.
All mobos have issues. I personally have had zero with my r3e and zero with my asus p5q pro, but that is just me.
I also have had zero with my el cheapo ECS board, which many people seem to have issues with.

The first release of any mobo is to be avoided IMO, at best you'll have a buggy bios, at worst a buggy board itself. That goes for everybody.

Back