• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cd drive question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gibz117

my friends laptop (hp nc6000) shows the internal cd drive as a device with removable storage. how do i fix this. the laptop has a fresh install of xp, but was doing this before the install. any help. thank you.

Sounds normal, the CD drive is likely in a bay thats removeable - usually you can remove the CD drive and insert an extra battery pack or a different device.

Thats the appropriate classification on a laptop.

2 (3) possibilities off the top of my head:

1. Drivers to hotswap the CD drive were not installed, so the OS did not recognize it as a removable device when she got the computer
2. Windows updates installed since she got the computer alter the way its listed in device manager
3. It wasn't actually listed under hard disk drives (or how its displayed depends on the media in the drive, dunno, never paid very close attention)

Is there some other problem you are looking to resolve with the drive, or is it just a question about why its displayed differently?

If there really is a difference, it's probably due to a difference between drivers before compared to now, or differences in the OS from windows updates.

wasnt a problem, more a why is it listed where it is. thanks for the input. i think ill leave the drive listed where its at.

Back